Creating a Checklist
A checklist is a way to highlight important tasks to make it easier for students to understand what is required of them to complete the unit. It may list all of the items students need to address before class, in class and after class including assessment information and videos to watch, or the items may appear as they complete other items.
To create a checklist, complete the following steps:
- Access the Checklist Tool
- Create a New Checklist
- Add a Category
- Add Items to a Checklist
- Manage and Preview Checklist
1. Log into the space you wish to create a checklist.
2. Click Toolbox in the navigation bar at the top of the space.
3. From the dropdown menu, select Checklist.
You will be able to see the Checklists page - here you can add, reorder, delete and edit your space checklists.
1. Click New Checklist to create a checklist.
2. Use the Name field to enter the name of the new checklist.
3. You can enter a Description to identify what the checklist contains (this is optional).
4. Check the tickbox to Open this checklist in a new window when viewed if you want the checklist to open in a new window when users access it.
5. Click Save. This brings you to the Edit Checklist screen.
Note: By default, checklists will open in the current window.
Categories help you organise your items if you have a lot of them; they appear to students within the checklist as a collapsible header. Checklists need to contain at least one category. On the Checklists page, click on the checklist you want to add a category to. If you have just created a new checklist, this will appear below the existing description.
1. Click New Category in the checklist edit screen.
2. Enter a Name for the new category.
3. You can enter a Description for the new category (this is optional).
4. Click Save to assign the category to your new checklist.
Note: Clicking the Save and New button will save the category and immediately create another category that will also be assigned to this checklist.
5. The new category will appear in the checklist edit screen under Categories and Items, where you can edit or delete it later.
Items appear to students as tickboxes they can check off as they work their way through course material and objectives. They are usually linked to a particular task or set objective.
1. In the checklist edit screen click New Item.
2. On the New Item page, use the dropdown Category menu to select the appropriate category for this item.
Note: You can also click the New Category link to add a new category. In the New Category pop-up, enter a Name and optional Description for the new category (as before) and click Save.
3. Enter a Name for the new item.
4. Enter a Description for the new item that explains to students what to do (this is optional).
5. You can add media such as images, links or videos into the item description by clicking one of the insert media buttons at the top of the rich text field.
4.1 Setting a Due Date and Adding an Item to the Calendar
1. You can set a Due Date for any item and add it to your Space calendar. Check the tickbox under the Description field.
2. Enter the date students should complete the task by.
3. Check the tickbox next to Display in Calendar to make the item visible in the calendar for students.
4. Click Save to save the new item.
5. The new item will appear in the Categories and Items section under the specified category.
6. Keep adding items and categories until your checklist is populated with a series of tasks for students to check off as they go.
You can edit, reorder and delete items or categories after you create them. Checklists can also have release conditions and restrictions attached to determine when they appear to students in your space.
1. Next to the title of the checklist, click the small arrow to open a dropdown menu.
2. Click Preview to view the checklist as it will appear to students.
3. This will let you see all of the items and categories you have created. When you're finished with your preview, click Close to return to the checklist edit screen.
5.1 Reorder, Edit or Delete Items in the Checklist
If you notice items are out of place or missing something in the preview, you can make changes in the edit checklist screen under the Categories and Items section.
1. Click Reorder to change the order of items and categories.
2. To the right of each category or item, a dropdown numbered list will let you change the values in the Sort Order column, lower numbers will appear first.
3. When you are confident with your changes, click Save to return to the main edit screen.
4. To edit an item or category, check the tickbox next to its name to select it and click Edit.
5. To Delete a item or category, check the tickbox next to it's name to select it and click Delete.
5.2 Assign Release Conditions to the Checklist
The Restrictions tab allows you to assign and create Release Conditions. Release conditions are an activity a student must complete before they can view the checklist, like viewing a particular content topic in your space. This step is optional.
1. At the top of the screen underneath the checklist title, click Restrictions.
2. Click Attach Existing to add a condition you have previously created.
Or click Create and Attach to create a new release condition.
3. Click Save and Close when you are finished setting your conditions.
5.3 Publish the Checklist
When you have completed your checklist, you can publish it to students in any module in your space.
1. Click Add Activities in your chosen module.
2. In the dropdown menu, select Checklist.
3. In the Add Activity pop-up, find your new checklist and click on it.
4. Your new checklist will now appear in the module.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.