Using the H5P Flashcard Tool
This guide uses a H5P object. For getting started on placing H5P into a space, please see Inserting H5P in VU Collaborate. Flashcards are used for students to quickly revisit content and test knowledge.
In this example, five cards with images are presented for the student to respond to with the correct answer. The flashcards can also provide clues which help students to actively recall the content learnt and respond correctly.
Students receive immediate feedback by checking the answer. This type of visual learning exercise helps students to self-test, enhance retention and comprehension skills through spaced repetition.
For a more detailed tutorial, please see additional guides at H5P on using this interactive.
Below are steps to use H5P Flashcard Tool
1. In the Learning Space, choose the module you want the H5P to be in, click on New then New Document.
2. Click the Insert Stuff button.
3. Click H5P Learning Object.
4. In the H5P tool, click Add Content.
5. From the Content Type dropdown menu, click Flashcards.
6. Add a title in the Title field and description in the Task Description field.
1. Write an optional Textual Question and the correct answer in the answer field. Then click Add to add an image.
2. Select an appropriate image and click Open.
3. You can click Tip to expose a field for entering text to help with the answer. This tip will appear on the card as a speech bubble. When the student hovers over it, the tip will appear.
Note: Selecting Require user input before the solution can be viewed will ensure that users must attempt an answer before the solution will appear. Selecting Case sensitive means that their response has to match the answer in case. For example, if they capitalise something that you did not, the answer will be incorrect.
4. In Text overrides and translations, there are options for the text that will appear on buttons. It is recommended to leave the default settings unless there is something specific you would like to change.
5. As you progress, click Add Card for your additional cards. You can have as many or as few as you want.
At the bottom of the screen you can adjust your H5P's settings (you can leave these settings by default or make alterations):
1 - Display options: (previously 'Display and copyright buttons') What options do you want to be visible for the user, for example you can tick the display download button to enable students/staff to download the H5P to their own computer. You can also tick the Display embed button, which allows the user to embed the H5P into their HTML editor in VU Collaborate for example.
2 - Folder: (previously 'My Content') All your content will be saved in one spot, within a root folder.
3 - Publish: This option allows you to make the H5P Unpublished (content can not be inserted into VUC), Protected (content can be inserted into VUC) or Public (visible to the public using a content link and the content can be inserted into LMS and be embedded). Protected is the default setting and it is recommended to leave this setting as it is.
4 - Collaborators: (previously 'Authors') In this setting you can add and search for other collaborators and give them access to edit your H5P's. For example, if you are teaching a unit with another staff member and you would like them to have access to edit your H5P's, then you can use the search field to locate another staff member by typing in their full name.
5 - Sharing: (previously called 'Select value') This is where you share your H5P with others, so they can view and clone your content. There is a folder allocated for each college, for example 'Arts and Education', select your College.
Note: To know more about Sharing and Collaborators, please see H5P Sharing and Collaboration.
6 - Send Score to LMS: (previously 'Send to Gradebook') In this section you can link your H5P directly to VU Collaborate and also link it to your gradebook. It is recommended to leave this setting as it is, and NOT send the results to the gradebook.
1. Click Save and Insert. A preview of the H5P object will appear.
2. The H5P object is now ready to add to your space. Click Insert to add the interactive video to the document.
3. Alternatively, you can click Save.
4. Then click Insert.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.