Creating a Campus Pack Journal
Campus Pack is an addition to VU Collaborate that offers blogs, wikis and podcasts to staff and students. Campus Pack Journal is a tool that allows students to manage their own media-rich diary like communication entry. It shares a similar function to a blog, however unlike a blog, it is only viewable by the convenor in the space and the student.
Note: We recommend using Chrome or Firefox with Campus Pack. If you are using Safari, you will get a ‘login error’ unless you enable cookies through preferences.
Below are steps taken to create a Campus Pack Journal:
- Navigate to a Module
- Use External Learning tools to create a Campus Pack Journal
- Add a Title and Details
- Add a Gradebook Entry (optional)
1. Login to VU Collaborate and go to the space.
2. Click Learning Space.
3. Choose the module that you wish to add the Journal to.
1. Click the Add Activities drop-down menu at the top of the module you have selected.
2. A list of options will appear. Select External Learning Tools.
3. Click on Campus Pack Journal. This will create a Campus Pack Journal at the bottom of the content page.
Note: You can move this further up in your content by left clicking on the three lines beside it holding left mouse button down and dragging the resource up the page
1. The new Journal will automatically be titled "Campus Pack Journal".
2. Click on the drop-down arrow next to the "Campus Pack Journal" Topic name. Click Edit Properties to change what the journal is named.
3. Click on the title region and fill in a title that students will recognise easily when they open up the module.
4. Click on the drop-down arrow beside the Campus Pack Blog item and select View Topic.
5. You will now be navigated to the new Campus Pack Blog item. Give the Campus Pack Blog a description to help students understand what the purpose of the Blog is. You can come back and edit this later. When you're finished, click the button to save your work.
If you wish to assess this journal and send grades to the VU Collaborate gradebook, enter the grade book properties.
1. Click Create Grade Book Entry.
2. Type in the Entry Name with the name you wish this to display in the grade book for your space.
3. Decide how many Points the grade item will be out of and put this number in Points Possible.
4. Tick the box next to Display Grades to Students.
5. Click the Add button.
You are now ready to start adding Entries. See Using a Campus Pack Journal for next steps.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.