Creating a Campus Pack Wiki
Wikis can support group work and peer review with shared text, links and media, allowing students to build up a collaborative knowledge base.
Note: We recommend using Chrome or Firefox with Campus Pack. If you are using Safari, you may get a login error: remember to enable cookies in preferences to avoid this.
Below are the steps taken to create a Campus Pack Wiki:
- Navigate to a Module
- Use External Learning Tools to create a Campus Pack Wiki
- Add Title and Details
- Add a Gradebook Entry (optional)
1. Login to VU Collaborate and go to the space. Click Learning Space to view all modules.
2. Choose the module that you would like to include a wiki in, and click to open it up. (Our example module is called Campus Pack Wiki).
1. Click the Add Activities drop-down menu at the top of the module you have selected.
2. A list of options will appear. Select External Learning Tools.
3. The External Learning Tools menu will appear.
4.Click on Campus Pack Wiki. This will create a new wiki at the bottom of the content page.
Tip: You can move this item further up in your content. Just click on the two lines beside it, and drag it up or down to reorder the content.
1. The new Wiki will automatically be titled "Campus Pack Wiki".
2. Click on the drop-down arrow next to the "Campus Pack Wiki" Topic name. Click Edit Properties to change what the wiki is named.
3. Click on the title region and fill in a title that students will recognise easily when they open up the module.
4. Click on the drop-down arrow beside the Campus Pack Wiki item and select View Topic.
5. You will now be navigated to the new Campus Pack Wiki item. Give the Campus Pack Wiki a description to help students understand what the purpose of the wiki is. You can come back and edit this later. When you're finished, click the button to save your work.
6. If you would like to Copy this Wiki from an existing space, click Copy From Exisiting.
7. Select Courses and find the unit that the Wiki will be copied from, then select the Wiki and click Copy.
Note: If you choose to copy sharing settings to new version, this will duplicate the settings created in the previous Wiki.
If you wish to assess this Wiki and send grades to the VU Collaborate gradebook, enter the grade book properties.
1. Click Create Grade Book Entry.
2. Type in the Entry Name with the name you wish this to display in the grade book for your space.
3. Decide how many Points the grade item will be out of and put this number in Points Possible.
4. Tick the box next to Display Grades to Students.
5. Click the Add button.
6. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Add a grade item button.
7. Select the grade item from the dropdown menu and click Save to associate the grade item with your campus pack wiki.
Tip: Students will be able to see the grade entry by default. Choose a different option under the Restrictions section to hide the grade, or make it visible only for a certain time period.
See Using a Campus Pack Wiki for more information on what to do next.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.