Adding a Video to your Class and Selecting its Availability
A video can be the recorded capture of a past class, an instructional video you have recorded, or any other video that you want to share with students. Once added, you can change its availability or schedule it using an availability schedule, allowing the item to be viewed beginning on a certain date and/or for a set period of time.
Each class can contain ONE video. The effects of this are as followed:
- You cannot add videos to classes that are generated by scheduling lecture captures for the section. The video slot for those classes is reserved for the lecture capture.
- You can replace an existing video with a new one, but all associated data, analytics, notes, etc., for the original video are removed, the content remains in your library.
- If you need to provide multiple videos for a particular class, create a new class with the same date or title to contain the video.
Step One: Add a Video to a Class
1. On the Echo360 Dashboard, select Courses.
2. Find the course containing the class you want edit and click on the title.
3. The icons (video or presentation ) on the right side of a class entry, regardless of colour, indicate what content already exists for the class. If the class does not yet include a presentation, click the plus icon .
4. Select Add content then click Add Video.
5. From the Add a video dialogue box, select Upload a file or Import from your Library.
6. If you select Upload a file, the upload window appears. If you select Import from your library, a library content section list appears, allowing you to select the item to publish to the class.
7. The selected video content now appears in the class. If you uploaded a video, it will need to finish processing before you or students can view it in the classroom.
Tip: After adding the video, add tags to it so that you can easily find it later in your library. Click the video icon in the class content list, then select Edit details from the menu that appears. Enter tags in the tags box.
Step Two: Making Content Available (or unavailable) to Students
Even after you have published your content to a course, you can make an individual video or presentation available or unavailable immediately or on a specified date. To make content available or unavailable to students:
1. Find the course containing the class you want to edit and click the title.
2. The content icons in the class list indicates the current availability status: A grey presentation or video icon indicates that this content is not available to students. A green presentation or video icon indicates that the content is available to students.
3. Click the content icon to show a thumbnail of the content and a menu of options for that content.
4. Select Make available or Make unavailable (depending on current availability status).
5. Click OK on the confirmation message that appears. If you made the presentation or video available, its icon turns green. If you made the presentation or video unavailable, its icon turns grey.
Tip: You can also select Availability Settings and schedule future start and/or end dates for the content's availability.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.