Adding and Editing Classes and Groups
Classes exist as containers to hold content. If you have configured a schedule for capturing the course, those scheduled capture dates are listed as classes on the course's class list page.
- Each class can contain one video and one presentation. For scheduled classes/captures, the video placeholder is (or will be) occupied by the recorded capture for the class. However, you may have additional materials you want to provide for the course or a particular class. In this case you may need to create a new class to hold that content.
- You can create a class with a corresponding date to an existing class, or create a class with a different date/time, or one with no specific date and time. You can create one additional class that duplicates the date/time of an existing class, however creating more than one duplicate may result in the original class disappearing from the list. If this happens, simply edit the start date/time of the second class, offsetting by one minute.
- You may also consider creating a group to hold multiple classes containing content associated with a single lecture or topic. Once the group exists, you can create one or more new classes then reorder your class list, dragging the new classes into the group.
- New classes with a date are inserted into the Class List next to the class with the closest date already in the list. New classes without dates will appear either at the top or the bottom of the list, depending on the sort order (if any) you have for the list.
Adding a Class to a Course
1. On the Dashboard, find the course to which you want to add a class.
2. In that course, click All Classes and the class list will appear.
3. Click New Class, located in the top right corner of the classes tab.
4. The Create a new class dialog box appears, enter the class details.
Note: If you have a Start date, you must enter time and duration. If you have no date, the class must have a name. If you create a class with no date, be sure to provide a name and description that informs users what the purpose of the class/content is.
5. Click Create. The new class appears in the class list for the course.
Note: Make sure you add content to the class that is a supported content format, check Echo360 ALP Uploading Content to your Library to see which formats are allowed. If appropriate, reorder the class list to place the new class into a group.
Editing Class and Group Details
Instructors can edit the name and description of classes and groups. They can also edit the date, time and duration of classes they created as well as of classes auto-created by scheduled captures if those classes have already occurred.
If you have your lectures planned for the upcoming semester, you may want to edit the default titles and descriptions to the class entries, to let students know what to expect for each lecture.
Tip: Do not edit the date or time details for future classes created by a scheduled capture for the section. If necessary create a new class (instructions above) for the appropriate date/time, or create a class with no date or time (the class must have a name).
1. On the Dashboard, find the course to which you want to add a class. In that course, click All Classes and the classlist will appear.
2. Click on the edit icon located on the right side of the class or group row (it looks like a pencil), as shown in the below figure.
3. In the Edit class/group dialog box, edit the name and description as needed.
Note: If it is an instructor-created class, you can also edit or remove the date, time, and/or duration of the class. Remember that classes/groups must have either a name or a date/time/duration. They do not need have both but they must have at least one or the other.
4. Click Save. The Class List will refresh to include the changes you have made.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.