Sorting your ePortfolio items
Tags and collections can be used to sort your ePortfolio items. Collections and tags can be used to group your artefacts, reflections and presentations. You can create tags and collections based on topics or titles related to your unit/course, assignments, workplace, volunteer activities, and personal interests.
This guide will cover the following:
- Creating Collections and Tags
- Adding Collections to your ePortfolio items
- Adding Tags to your ePortfolio items
- Creating a Tag List to automatically add items in your Collection
Collections are like folders that you can use to organise your ePortfolio items. You can have the same item in multiple collections. However, if you delete the item it will be removed from the collection(s). Tags are like keywords that you can use to quickly find your ePortfolio items. You can create tags using multiple single words and phrases.
1. You can access My ePortfolio through the widget on the Home page or within any Space under the Toolbox menu.
2. Click on New Collection on the Build your ePortfolio section.
3. Write a name and a description to facilitate your understanding of what items belong to that collection. Write a name and a description to facilitate your understanding of what items belong to that collection.
4. Write the list of word(s) that will be used to Tag your collection.
Tip: To create a multi-word tag use “double quotes” around the phrase.
5. Click on Add Tag.
6. Click on Save and Close.
Before adding a collection to your ePortfolio items you need to first have the collection created. See section Creating Collections and Tags above.
Note: You should have ePortfolio items created, if you do not have any, please view Creating Artefacts in ePortfolio for more information about how to create ePortfolio items.
1. Click on the My items menu in your ePortfolio.
2. Find your ePortfolio item that you would like to add to the Collection. Select the dropdown menu and click on Add to Collection.
3. From the Pop Up Add to Collection – Select Collections, tick the collection(s) that you want to link with your item. Click on Add to finish.
Tags can be used to maintain your ePortfolio items organised to find them quickly based on keywords.
1. Find the item, select the dropdown menu beside the item and click on Edit.
2. Write the list of word(s) that will become Tags for your item.
3. Click on Add Tag. Click on Save and Close to finish.
Tip: You can create private tags which cannot be seen by other users when you share your item. To create private tags, type the symbol @ before the word/phrase. For example: @”Essay for my thesis”.
A collection can include a Tag List containing a number of tags that will be used to automatically link any item with those tags in a collection. Tag lists allow you to automatically populate a collection with ePortfolio items that use specific tags. Simply enter the tags that you want to your inclusion criteria in the tag list and any items that use all of the tags you specify are automatically added to the collection.
1. To create a Tag List, find the Collection and select the dropdown menu. Click on Edit.
2. Under the Items in Collection section, click Add to Collection from the Pop-Up.
3. Click on Tag List.
4. Give the Tag List a name and write the words or phrases to be used as tags in the list.
5. Click on Add Tag.
6. Click on Save.
7. The new Tag List will be shown under items in the Collection.
8. Click on Save and Close to finish.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.