Training & Support
The Connected Learning Team provides staff members at Victoria University with support, training and professional development sessions in using VU Collaborate. We offer various types of services - Workshops, Drop-In Days and Online Support.
See the current available sessions at the Training Calendar.
- LiveChat on the VU Collaborate homepage and in the VU Collaborate Help site (instant support for quick questions)
- Online teaching and VU Collaborate training on training calendar (all virtual)
- Virtual Hive daily Zoom drop in to ask questions at 11am and 3pm through VU Collaborate Essentials under Zoom classroom. Session is open for 30 minutes.
- Book a 30 minute One-on-one online support sessions
- Instructional guides for VU Collaborate and other teaching technologies at https://vucollaboratehelp.vu.edu.au/
- Remote Delivery Module in VU Collaborate Essentials
- Extended classroom FAQs
- Extended classroom Yammer chat group
Zoom & VU Collaborate support for students first week of each block
- VU Collaborate and Zoom support from 2-2:30pm in the Student Induction site (available to all students). This occurs in the first week of each block.
- Step by step help guides
Drop In Days
We now have the virtual variety of Hive drop-in sessions. There are two half hour sessions where Connected Learning staff are available to answer all of your VU Collaborate and Zoom questions. These are at 11am and 3pm each working day. You can drop-in with one question or several, no booking needed.
Get access by going to the VU Collaborate Essentials space, selecting the Communication tab then choosing Zoom Classroom from the dropdown list. You then click on Join next to the title and date of the drop-in session to get started.
We know you don't always plan to have to trouble shoot something in VU Collaborate, and sometimes you may just want to sit down and work through a task whilst having someone you can ask questions of along the way. The Connected Learning Team have set aside daily times for you to be able to literally drop-in to the Zoom room where we are. You can drop in and ask a quick question, work through an issue you are having, or stay for a while and build some content in your space with us.
Bookings are not needed for drop ins.
The Connected Learning team offer Online Consultations, conducted via Zoom with the aid of screen sharing. These consultations provide the opportunity for you to work one-on-one with a VU Collaborate expert. Sessions are in 30-minute blocks and are useful when you are not on campus with access and need some specific support with an issue in VU Collaborate such as with quizzes, H5P, Panopto, or setting up groups or assessments.
To book an Online support session with one of the Connected Learning staff, please utilise our online booking system.
Click here to book in an Online Support Session
See this video for details of how to book in for an online support session.
The Connected Learning team now offer a fully online course to learn all about VU Collaborate and the main learning tools that are integrated with it. This course is has no set time frame to be worked on and no set time limit for how long it should take you. It is expected that it will take you about two hours for each module if you are comfortable using computers and know a little about VU Collaborate. The course is divided into three main sections starting at module 1 for sessional staff, tutors and those who need to work in unit spaces but do not need to build courses. Module 2 looks at building some materials such as videos with panopto and H5P interactive learning activities. Module 3 looks at the more in depth parts of VU Collaborate that not everyone will use such as building assessments and rubrics.
To enrol in the VU Collaborate Online Course, book in through VU Develop. Once you are enrolled you will get an email explaining how to get started.
The Connected Learning Team conduct Workshops on various aspects of VU Collaborate and have the following workshops available at any agreed time:
- Introduction to VU Collaborate
- Introduction to Accessibility and applying it to VU Collaborate
- Setting up the Gradebook, grade items and dropboxes
- Creating quizzes
- Creating interactive learning activities with H5P
- Building and managing learning materials
- Attendance, student progress and checklists
- Creating rubrics
- Communicating in VU Collaborate
- WebEx and Zoom virtual classrooms
- Panopto and screen capture videos
- Using Turnitin
Workshops can also be developed for any other area of VU Collaborate as well as a number of useful iPad apps for teaching.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.