Respondus Lockdown Browser
When the Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is used in conjunction with the Quiz Tool in VU Collaborate, it can prevent any other activity being undertaken on the computer. It is recommended you use this tool for any invigilated test with a weighting of over 20% towards the student’s final mark for a unit.
In summary, the student:
- is unable to minimise the browser or use any other software
- is unable to close the browser (unless specifically allowed in the settings)
- is unable to copy-and-paste, take a screen-shot or print the page
- is able to open a link you include in a quiz, however, no subsequent links will work.
- specify websites they are allowed to access while taking the quiz
- enable the use of a calculator (standard or scientific)
- allow a quiz to be taken on iPads (although talk to us first, there have been some issues!)
It is strongly recommended that quizzes using RLDB are taken in a proctored/invigilated environment unless combined with Respondus Monitor (which uses the student’s webcam and comes with an additional cost - do not enable this without speaking to the VU Collaborate Help team first!). Respondus LockDown Browser can be used on the student’s own device, or in a computer lab.
IMPORTANT - Do not enable Respondus Monitor without speaking to the VU Collaborate Help team first. There are associated costs with enabling it, as well as significant technical requirements and support considerations.
Many users of RLDB combine quiz access with a password to launch the quiz or release of the quiz based on membership of a group where students are added or removed based on attendance. If none of these strategies are applied, ensure you take a roll call of attendees in the room.
Tests taken on a student’s own device
All students have access to a VU Collaborate Space titled “Student Induction”, and all staff have access to a VU Collaborate space titled “VU Collaborate Essentials”. In each of these spaces, a Sample Quiz – Respondus LockDown Browser is required is available. This prompts students to install the browser, then take a short sample quiz to ensure everything is set up. Please ensure students are directed to this sample quiz before their actual test. If required, you can request a record as to whether the student has attempted the sample quiz.
You would usually enable “Lock students into the browser until the exam is completed”, accompanied by a password kept secret. If any technical issues occur such as loss of network, you can enter this password, close the browser and let the student re-open the test. As long as they are instructed to save as they progress through the test, they will not have lost any progress. Steps on how to use a password to close RLB can be found on the following page.
Tests taken in a computer lab
You would usually enable “Lock students into the browser until the exam is completed”, accompanied by a 'proctor exit' password kept secret. If any technical issues occur such as loss of network, you can enter this password, close the browser and let the student re-open the test. As long as they are instructed to save as they progress through the test, they will not have lost any progress.
Below are steps to walk you through enabling Respondus LockDown Browser in conjunction with the Quiz Tool in VU Collaborate:
The Respondus Lockdown Browser can only be set up in a unit delivery space by a convenor or block convenor. It will not work in a master space.
1. From the navigation bar select Assessments then Quizzes.
2. Click on the LockDown Browser Tab (allow 15 seconds).
3. Click Yes if RLDB asks for access permissions.
4. Click Continue to LockDown Browser when prompted on the welcome page.
5. Click the arrow to the left of the quiz title and select Settings.
6. Select Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam and un-tick Require LockDown Browser to view feedback and results.
Create a password in Password Settings to access the exam/test for each session that will use Respondus. This will need to be entered into the settings and changed immediately at the conclusion of each session. This is to prevent other students in the unit accessing the test/exam during the same time. This password matches (syncs) with the password entered when setting up the quiz.
7. Click on Advanced Settings to view further setting options.
8. Tick Lock students into the browser until the exam is completed and set a 'proctor exit' password. Selecting this option prevents students from exiting LockDown Browser before an exam is submitted or graded. This is also used in cases of wifi dropping out, requiring a student to close the browser to restart the quiz. All quiz questions answered will be saved. For more information, view Step Two: How to Close the Browser if a Technical Issue Occurs, located further down.
9. The other options available are explained as follows:
Allow students to take this exam with an iPad - is beneficial for students who use an iPad in class and do not have access to a laptop.
Allow access to specific external web domains - allows students to access and use a specific page or link within the specified domain. This is useful to access an e-book during an exam. Compatible with Windows, Mac and iPad browsers.
Enable Calculator on the toolbar - allows students to access either a standard or scientific calculator whilst taking the quiz.
Enable Printing from the toolbar - A print button icon is enabled on the navigation bar, allowing students the option to print the exam screen (not recommended).
10. Ensure Don't require respondus monitor for this exam is selected.
11. Click Save and Close (allow up to 30 seconds).
1.1 Further Information
1. Required will now appear to the right of the quiz, and the title of the quiz will have “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser” appended to it.
If you have copied a RLDB enabled quiz from another unit, the title of the quiz will indicate "Requires RLDB LockDown Browser" but it will not be configured for this space. After copying a RLDB enabled quiz, remember to go back to the quiz options via the LockDown Browser tab (as above) and ensure RLDB is enabled for your space.
2. Once you have successfully enabled RLDB for your quiz, students will see the RLDB Quiz Requirements at the beginning of the quiz. Students will need to download the LockDown browser via the link provided. It is recommended that the browser is tested on the sample quiz in the Quizzes page in the Student Induction space before taking the quiz.
The Respondus Lockdown Browser can only be set up in a unit delivery space. It will not work in a master space.
If you do not want students to immediately see their result after the test:
a) In the Quiz tool under Assessment check the Student View Preview setting to ensure that students can’t see their result at the completion of the test. Select override display options for this item and untick the boxes below “Show”.
b) Hide Gradebook items for all Respondus Tests/ Exams (to ensure that students will not see their result/ grade until moderation (if required) and/or all students have completed the test).
1. For Windows computers: Click the Information icon.
For Mac computers: Click the Globe icon.
2. Click on Proctor Exit.
3. Enter the password from point 7 above and click on OK.
Windows computers will have the following image appear:
Mac computers will have the following image appear:
4. The quiz can now be relaunched and continued on from where it was last saved.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.