Emailing Students Using the Class-list
The class-list provides a complete list of who is enrolled in a VU Collaborate unit delivery space. You can use the class-list tool to change enrollments, check student's online status, and send emails or instant messages. This guide will outline how to use the class-list to send emails to students in a space.
Step One: Accessing the Class-list
1. Navigate to your desired space on VU Collaborate.
2. At the top of the space, you will find the navigation bar. Click Space Admin.
3. Under the Learner Management section, click on Classlist.
There are two ways in which you can filter the list of students to email. One is by Group, the other is by using the Search options.
2.1. Filter by Group
2.1.1 First go to the View by: section and click the drop-down arrow next to User. Choose Groups then click Apply.
2.1.2 You will then see the Groups options by clicking on the drop-down arrow. Choose the group you wish to email and then click Apply.
2.1.3 Once you have the group you want available, click in the checkbox at the top of the list of names to select every student in that group. Next, click on the Email icon to send an email. See step three for details on sending the email.
2.2 Filter by Search options
2.2.1 There are five tabs across the top that each represents a user type. By default, you are on the student class-list. To enable advanced options for searching, click Show Search Options.
2.2.2 Search options:
1. Search box. Enter the student's name or id in this box. You can search only via first, last or user name by unticking the relevant Search In boxes.
2. Role. If you have assigned roles to any students you can search by these assigned roles. This is most useful when searching for staff via their roles.
3. Flagged. Search between flagged and unflagged users.
4. Status. Exclude online or offline users from your search.
5. Last Accessed. Use this section to refine your search to particular dates that users have logged in.
2.2.3 If you want to e-mail everyone enrolled in the Space, click the Email Class-list button at the top of the page.
1. Select the tick-box next to the students you wish to email, and click Email.
2. A new e-mail window will appear. All selected users will be added to the BCC field, to protect anonymity. You can also manually add users.
3. Enter a title into the Subject field and type your message into the Body field.
1. Select the camera icon.
2. Select the image location.
3. Drag your image across or select upload.
4. Select Add.
5. When prompted, insert alternate text (naming the image) or select This image is decorative.
6. Select OK.
1. Once you have composed your email and inserted any attachments, click Send.
Note: VU Collaborate will show 20 results per page by default. You can increase this to a maximum of 200 in the bottom right-hand corner of the Classlist page.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.