Creating a poll in Zoom
This guide will take you through the steps of creating a poll in a Zoom virtual classroom as the host. If you are not the host of the session, you will not be able to create a poll during the session.
There is the option of adding a poll before the session in a .csv file shown at the end of this guide.
|Polls can be created in a session if you:||Polls cannot be created in a session if you:|
|* are the host||* are not the host|
|* have had the meeting scheduled for you.||* are an alternative or co-host|
|* start the meeting from VU Collaborate||* start the session from the Zoom app|
|* start the meeting from "Schedule a meeting" on the Zoom website||* start the meeting from "Host a meeting" on the Zoom website|
The Zoom website for staff and students of VU is https://victoriauniversity.zoom.us/ You can access settings and reports here but if you schedule a meeting here, it will not be available for students in VU Collaborate.
Polls can be used when you are an Alternative Host, only if the original host of the session or the creator of the sessions creates and imports polls within each session before they begin.
This guide covers:
- Creating a Zoom Poll
- Downloading results from the Zoom Poll
- Creating a poll before beginning the session
1. Planning ahead is important when it comes to Poll creation within Zoom. It's important to have the Victoria University Zoom Portal Site open and ready for editing before opening your Zoom Session. To do this, you must go to the Zoom Web Portal site. You can do this by selecting this link ( https://victoriauniversity.zoom.us/ ) and Signing In with your e-number and password.
2. Once the link has been pressed, select Sign In.
3. Select Sign in with SSO.
4. Type in victoriauniversity in the Company Domain and select Continue.
5. Log into VU with your Staff ID and Password and then select Log In.
You should now be within the Zoom Portal Site, poll creation is now achievable via the Zoom Session or for future planning.
You can now minimise the web browser and open Zoom to start creating Polls within your current Session.
6. The polls button is located on a movable Zoom Tool Bar. Select the Polls button to activate the polls settings.
7. Once you select to create a poll, a screen will appear, showcasing the image down below. Click on Add a Question for the options to add your polling questions. This will open up a new tab on your current internet browser showcasing Zoom's Poll site.
You might need to minimise the Polls image, shown down below once the internet tab is opened.
9. On the Zoom Poll site, the following options are presented:
- A title for the whole poll. Great if you have more than one question.
- This is the poll question that participants will see and respond to.
- Select here whether you want participants to be able to choose only one option to answer from the list, or to select multiple answers.
- This is the list of answers available for participants to select. Simply click into the box and type in the answers/options.
10. You have the option to keep results completely anonymous or not. To do this, tick the tickable box next to Anonymous. Results shown on the screen during the session do not show names with responses no matter which option you choose. Reports can be generated afterwards to show the names of the people who wrote responses.
11. Once you have completed one question, you have the option to Add a Question to the poll or you can press Save to finalise the one question for the poll.
12. If you have selected to Add a Question, your first question will shorten and you can repeat the previous step for the next questions.
13. If Save was selected in step 11 or once all questions have been added to the desired poll. You will find the poll located in a created list section for the current meeting. You may add multiple polls to the meeting by clicking Add to create another poll.
14. Once you completed, go back to your current Zoom session by minimising the internet browser. Once in the session, select Polls on the Zoom Nav Bar to activate your planned polls.
15. Select the poll you want to launch from the drop-down menu by selecting the dropdown arrow next to edit.
You will not have this option if only one Poll was created within the Zoom Portal Site.
16. Select the poll of your choice and click on Launch Poll button at the bottom of the window. This will activate the Poll to all participants within the session to see and respond to.
17. Whilst participants are answering the poll questions, you will be able to see the amount and percentage of participants who have answered as well as how long the poll has been available.
Once a participant has answered the poll, it will disappear from their screen.
18. Once all (or enough) participants have answered, you can then select End Poll to end the poll for all.
19. Once you have ended the poll, the result will show up for you, but not for participants. To share these same results with participants, select Share Results.
You may re-launch the poll by selecting Re-launch Poll to reset and restart it if needed.
20. If shared, you now have a chance to discuss the results with the participants as they will have the results appear on their screen.
When you are ready to stop, select Stop Sharing and the results will automatically disappear from the participant's screen. You will need to close the page for it to move from your screen.
21. Once completed, if you require to activate the second or multiple polls, repeat step 14 onwards, making sure to select the correct poll from the dropdown selection.
You can also download the results from the Zoom poll.
1. Click on the picture below to see a video demonstrating how to download the results from a Zoom poll.
You can also upload poll questions before a class using a .csv file.
1. Click on the title of the Zoom session to access the polling option. There is an example .csv template file you can download by selecting the link Download a CSV Template which shows how to format the questions at the bottom of the Session editing page.
2. The template will look very much like this. Complete it, save it as a CSV file, and then upload it using Import CSV under the saved session schedule. (See above image).
See this video for the steps on how to create the polls before a session.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.