Creating an Attendance Scheme
The Attendance Scheme allows teaching staff to record students’ attendance. This scheme defines student participation status for each session (ex. present, absent, sick).
Here are the steps to create an attendance scheme:
1. Click Space Admin in the navbar.
2. In the Learner Management section, click Attendance.
VU Collaborate provides default Organisation Schemes that can be used if the statuses defined here are suitable for your course. However, if you have specific requirements you can create your own Attendance Scheme.
1. Click Attendance Schemes to view all schemes. To create your own, click New Scheme.
2. Enter a Name for your scheme in the first field.
3. Under Attendance Statuses, write the Symbol and the Status Full Name to record attendance. For example: P = Present, A = Absent and L = Late.
4. Enter a number in the Assigned % field to count towards the total attendance percentage (ex: Present = 100, Absent = 0). If you do not want a status to count toward final attendance scores, leave the Assigned % field blank (do not enter a value of 0).
5. Click Save to create the new scheme.
Note: If you would like to calculate an attendance percentage, you must have at least one status with a value of 100 in the Assigned % field. This indicates that the student attended the session. Attendance is calculated by adding the total Assigned % value for each status recorded in your attendance data, and then this value is divided by the total number of sessions.
2.1 Add More Statuses
1. Enter the number of statuses to add and click Add Statuses. If you type 1 in the Add Statuses field, one new empty row will appear, where you can enter the details for the new status.
2. Click Save to add the new status.
2.2 Deleting Attendance Statuses
1. Click the Delete icon on the right-hand side of the status to delete it.
2. A plus icon will appear, indicating that you can restore the status if you deleted it by accident.
3. To confirm that you want to delete the status, click Save.
Note: You cannot delete statuses that have data recorded. You'll need to unassign all data first, by selecting the 'None' option under Attendance Status.
2.3 Ordering Attendance Statuses
1. You can reorder your statuses by numbering them in the list that appears under Order. Enter the number you want the status to appear in your list.
2. To confirm that the order has been changed, click Save. Clicking Save creates the scheme and changes the Cancel button into the Close button.
3. When you are finished entering information, and have saved your work, click Close to return to the Attendance Schemes menu.
You can set your new scheme as a default scheme. Your new scheme will appear in the Course Schemes section.
1. Click Set under Default Scheme to set a scheme as the default.
2. A confirmation message will appear. Click Set to confirm, or Cancel to return to the list.
This will change your Attendance Scheme to the Current Default. The default scheme will be automatically chosen for any new Attendance Registers.
In this view, you can also Edit, View, Copy or Delete a scheme. Click on the dropdown menu next to your scheme, and select an option.
Note: You cannot delete a scheme if it has already been used to record attendance. First you will be required to unassign any attendance data associated with the scheme.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.