Manage participants in Zoom
As the host of the meeting, you can manage the administrative side of the meeting and the participants. By default, participants in the meeting cannot share their screen, yet the host can change that.
Below are the different aspects of managing participants in Zoom.
- Make Someone a Host and Reclaim Host Status
- Make Co-Host
- Rename Participant
- Put a Participant in Waiting Room
- Remove Participant
- Security Features
- Limit the session only to VU Students & Staff
1. Select Participants in the host controls to display the participant's list.
2. Hover over a participant name and select the option More to activate a dropdown menu.
This feature is only available for hosts and co-hosts.
3. Select Make Host.
4. An alert will pop up on your screen, select Yes if you wish to make the participant the host of the session.
5. Select Reclaim Host, located in the footer of the participant's list to get your host role back instantly.
1. Select Participants on the Zoom toolbar to display the participants' list.
2. Hover over a participant's name and select More and then select Make Co-Host.
This feature is only available to the host. You can assign an unlimited number of co-hosts.
Hover over a participant's name and select Rename to change an attendee's name that is displayed to other participants. This change applies only to the current meeting.
Students must use their real name or the name used for VU enrolment when entering a class.
1. Hover over a participant's name and select Put in Waiting Room to place the attendee in a virtual waiting room.
1. To dismiss a participant from the meeting hover over the participant's name and select More.
2. A dropdown menu will appear, select Remove at the bottom of the list to remove the selected participant from the Zoom session.
3. A pop up will appear, select the Remove button to finalise the removal of the selected student from the Zoom session.
Once a participant is removed from the meeting, they won’t be able to re-join without your permission.
For added security features, select Security at the bottom of the screen. The security icon in the meeting controls allows you as the host or the assigned co-host of a meeting to enable or disable options during a meeting to secure the meeting and minimize disruption during the meeting.
Ticking the following session options will do the following:
1. Lock Meeting: You will be able to lock the meeting where more participants will not be allowed to enter.
2. Enable Waiting Room: You can enable the waiting room where participants will reach a waiting room where they need to be approved by you to be allowed in the meeting.
3. Hide Profile Pictures: You can hide all profile pictures throughout the Session,
Ticking the following participant's options will allow them to do the following:
1. Share Screen: You can enable or disable the screen share within the main session.
2. Chat: You can enable or disable the chat and renaming features of the participants.
3. Rename Themselves: You can lock and unlock the option that allows participants to rename themselves.
4. Unmute Themselves: You can lock and unlock the option that allows participants to unmute themselves.
5. Start Video: You can lock and unlock the option that allows participants to turn on their camera's.
6. Suspend Participant Activities: Turns off all participant options at once (option 1 - 5). You will need to re-tick all option that was closed if this has been selected.
For further instructions and detailed explanations of Zoom Security features, follow the instructions in the help guide: Ensuring privacy & security in Zoom.
For online classrooms (and other online activities) you may find it useful to limit the session to only allow participants who are VU Students and Staff. All participants will need to sign into Zoom using their VU account (e-number or s-number) to join the session.
Although Zoom bombing from outsiders is near impossible (guessing a meeting ID & password), we suspect that a very small group of students have shared meeting URLs with externals, or themselves joined anonymously and disrupted sessions.
Existing meetings can be edited and updated following the provided steps below.
1. To enable the only authenticated users can join feature to sessions already created within your delivery space, you must go to the Zoom web portal website. You can do this by selecting this link (https://victoriauniversity.zoom.us/) and signing in with your e-number and password.
2. Once you're in the Zoom web portal site, select Meetings on the left-hand side of the page to open your meetings settings folder.
3. Once your meetings folder is open you will notice that your upcoming sessions (meetings) are listed.
Hover your cursor over the first upcoming meeting and select Edit.
4. Having multiple sessions will cause the below pop-up window to open, make sure to select Edit All Occurrences.
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tick, Require authentication to join to activate the authentication setting.
Ticking the authentication setting will turn on the setting and bring forth a dropdown bar with further settings.
6. Make sure the sign in to zoom (VU) setting is selected by selecting the dropdown menu and choosing Sign in to Zoom (VU).
This will ensure only students, staff and other participants entering your meetings can only enter with an authorised VU account. This is seen under the dropdown menu with examples of emails being accepted.
7. Press the Save button to finalise and confirm this setting on all meetings.
8. Go to your Zoom profile settings (https://victoriauniversity.zoom.us/profile/setting) and enable the following setting by turning on the authenticated switch:
This will turn on the authenticated feature throughout all of your Zoom sessions.
This feature is available to all Zoom users at VU.
9. It is important to note that if students are signed into the Zoom app with a non-VU account, they will need to switch accounts and sign in with their VU student details.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.