Buddycheck - Group Member Evaluation
Buddycheck is simple to set up and use peer evaluation tool which allows students to evaluate each team member’s performance in a group activity, as well as perform a self-assessment. The Instructor can create any number of performance criteria or select from a number of samples. Students are awarded an average score (excluding or including their self-score), or have a calculated adjustment factor applied to their final group assessment mark. Students will receive feedback on the group dynamic and their own performance against the group average. Buddycheck utilises the research-based CATME framework for peer evaluation in groups.
View the Buddycheck website: https://buddycheck.io
The following topics will be covered in this guide.
- Add Buddycheck to your Delivery Space
- Create an Evaluation
- Remember to periodically keep the groups up-to-date until they have settled
- Students complete the evaluation
- Release and Review Results
- Sending to the Gradebook
Buddycheck can only be enabled in a Delivery Space. Before you create a Buddycheck evaluation, you must create the student groups in VU Collaborate. You cannot select a group category after the evaluation is created. However, you can continue to synch the VU Collaborate groups with Buddycheck if students are still being allocated.
Watch the video down below to see how a Buddycheck evaluation can be inserted into a new Delivery Space.
1. Go to Learning Space and click Add Activities.
2. Select External Learning Tools.
3. Click Buddycheck – Group Member Evaluation.
4. Once added to the page, launch the newly added link.
Select the evaluation by clicking on the title, this will open the Buddycheck software for editing.
5. If this is the first time using Buddycheck you will be asked to activate it.
You can now create your first evaluation.
1. Click Create Evaluation and enter an Evaluation title then click Continue
2. Select the group set(s) you wish to include then enter an evaluation Start/ end date. You can enter a short introduction of the evaluation if you wish.
An assessment group will need to be created before formulating the Buddycheck evaluation. Please look at Creating Student Self Enrolment Groups for more information.
3. You can add questions to the evaluation by Selecting from library, Creating question or simply by using any existing default question already created automatically.
If you choose to use the existing default questions:
- Allows you to edit the question
- Gives you a student preview of the question.
- Allows you to delete the questions you do not intend on using in the evaluation.
4. You can turn on the toggle if you would like to add Open questions or Peer Messages (These are optional).
5. You can adjust the adjustment factor for the evaluation by adjusting the values by selecting Show advanced options.
Student responses to these open questions are only visible to the instructor.
Open preview: This allows you to preview the evaluation.
Create Evaluation: This finalises the creation process of the peer evaluation.
Cancel: This allows you to cancel the set up for this evaluation.
6. Leave the toggle options off if you do not have any Open questions to ask and you do not want students to send Peer messages.
7. Click Open preview to preview if the evaluation set up is okay.
8. Click Create evaluation when done.
9. The page will reload and you will see the evaluation appear.
1. If groups change in VU Collaborate you need to re-sync the Buddycheck with the delivery space.
2. Click the title of the evaluation.
3. Click More and then select Sync with course.
4. Select Continue.
1. When students click on Buddycheck – Group Member Evaluation they will see all evaluations created in your space. To begin, they click Begin evaluation.
2. The student fills in each criteria clicking Next until they have the option to Submit evaluation at the end of the evaluation.
3.You will be able to monitor which individuals and groups have completed the task, and what scores individuals have given and received.
4. Although you have set a due date, students will be able to complete the evaluation until you lock the evaluation. They will however see that their submission is overdue.
A student with an overdue submission view will see the alert message down below:
5. You may allow a grace period and send a reminder to students who have not completed their evaluation, or simply click Lock evaluation.
1. To release feedback to students, select More and click Release results.
2. Students will be able to review their feedback within Buddycheck, but will also receive an email summary.
Select More and click Export results to download a complete summary of the evaluation. You will be prompted as to whether you export results excluding or including their self-score.
Buddycheck integrates with the VU Collaborate Gradebook. Buddycheck will reference the existing gradebook item for the group assessment. It will then create a new grade item and multiply the group’s score by the student’s adjustment factor to generate an individualised adjusted group score. Either of these gradebook items can be used towards the student’s final score by adjusting their weighting.
3. You can view each student’s feedback page. Select the student and click the Preview result page.
4. Students initially see a graphical representation of how they performed across all criteria.
5. Students will then see more detail on each criterion, comparing their self-score, received a score and team average.
6. You can choose to include or exclude the students self-score in the average score calculation in the Instructor view.
7. Where certain team dynamics occurred, they will be labelled, for example in yellow, Conflict below.
8. The label key can be found below:
9. To fully access the Buddycheck evaluation, again, select the Buddycheck activity link found in a module then select the evaluation title.
10. An evaluation completed with scores can be seen down below.
Click on the picture below to see a video showing how to release the results and submit the grades in Buddycheck.
This is not one of our lovely professionally done videos, just a quick demonstration.
1. If you would like the Buddycheck evaluation to be part of an assessment grade, you can also Submit Avg grades to push to the gradebook.
2. Select grade item and submit to gradebook.
You must already have a grade item created in the unit space for this.
3. Below is how the Buddycheck score will appear in the gradebook.
4. If you have enabled private messages to Instructor and received one, you will see this text/chat icon next to the student’s name .
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.