Bulk Enroling Staff into Spaces
This guide will demonstrate how to bulk enrol teaching staff into VU Collaborate spaces in different roles. You can enrol other staff members if you are a Block Instructor, Block Convenor (Delivery Space) or Block Key Academic (Master Space) but only in the same type of role or with fewer permissions in that particular space. For example, if you are a Block Instructor, you can enrol other Block Instructors, Tutors, Support Staff and Space Reviewers.
To see what each role can do in a given space, see the Help Guide User Roles Explained.
The following are the steps for enrolling people:
- Create an Import File
- Save your file as CSV
- Upload the Import File into Classlist
- Troubleshooting error messages from import files
To create a new import staff file, you can create them from your Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets application. Depending on which space you would like to add staff, the formats will be different.
The import users function currently supports Text Files (.txt or .csv) only. Files must be in ASCII format, not Word (.doc) or Rich Text (.rtf)
Obtain Section Code for Delivery Space
1. To obtain the unit Section Code, you would need to navigate to the Space Admin menu and select Sections.
2. In the Manage Sections window, you can see a list of unit sections that contain Section Names, Code and Number of Users/Students.
It is recommended to enrol teaching staff into the section name that has the unit code.
3. Highlight the section code (e.g: 354719-U-AAA5011), then use
- hotkey Ctrl+C, or
- right-click and select Copy.
After all the details have been provided, save your spreadsheet as a CSV file.
Here are some instructions to save your spreadsheet as CSV:
1. In your space, select Classlist from Space Admin.
2. Select Add Participants drop-down menu and click on Import users from a file on your computer.
3. In the Import Users From File page,
- Scroll down to the Import file, and click on Choose File (1) button.
- Optional - If the Send email (2) function is ticked, it will automatically notify newly added staff via email.
4. When complete, select Import to upload your staff list.
An example of the email sending to users option.
When uploading the import (CSV) file, you might encounter some error messages from the system below.
Please find some of the common messages and explanations below to troubleshoot your issue.
|The specified user is already enrolled in this org unit||The staff is already enrolled in the unit shell.|
|You do not have permission to enrol this user.||You don't have permission to enrol staff into that specific role (as a block instructor, you cannot enrol a block convenor)|
|You do not have permission to create this user||The provided staff ID is incorrect|
|The specified section is not valid||The section code is incorrect|
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service servicedesk.vu.edu.au for technical support.