Bulk Importing Staff into Spaces
This guide will demonstrate how to bulk enrol teaching staff into VU Collaborate spaces in different roles. You can enrol other staff members if you are a Block Instructor, Block Convenor (Delivery Space) or Block Key Academic (Master Space) but only at the same type of role or with fewer permissions in that particular space. For example, if you are a Block Instructor, you can enrol other Block Instructors, Tutors, Support Staff and Space Reviewers.
To see what each role can do in a given space, see the Help Guide User Roles Explained.
The following are the steps for enrolling people:
- Create an Import File
- Import Staff into Classlist
- Troubleshooting error messages from import files
- Change Enrolment of Existing Staff
1. To create a new import staff file, you can create them from your Microsoft Excel or Google Sheet application.
The import users function currently supports Text Files (.txt or .csv) only. Files must be in ASCII format, not Word (.doc) or Rich Text (.rtf)
2. In your spreadsheet, create two fields and columns that indicate Staff ID and Staff Role.
3. After all the details have been provided, save your spreadsheet as a CSV file. Please note that the system will only recognise CSV file format.
To save your spreadsheet as .csv in Microsoft Excel Desktop Application, click File from the menu bar and select Save As.
In the Save As window, double click on This PC and choose a file location.
Change your default Excel Workbook format into a .csv file from the Save as type dropdown menu and select CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) or CSV (Comma delimited).
After providing all details, click on Save to save your file.
To save your spreadsheet as .csv in Google Sheet, click File from the menu bar.
From there, click on the Download option and select Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet).
In your Microsoft Excel or Google Sheet, create three fields and columns that indicate Staff ID, Unit Section Code and Staff Role.
Section Code is a unique shortcode (characters and numerical) to identify each section. For the example below, the section code is 01234-U-12345.
1. To obtain the unit Section Code, you would need to navigate to the Space Admin menu and select Sections.
2. In the Manage Sections window, you can see a list of unit sections that contain Section Name and Number of Users/Students.
It is recommended to enrol teaching staff into the section name which reflects your unit code to access all student submissions and grades.
3. To copy the section code, click on the section name and copy the code using hotkey Ctrl+C or right-click and select Copy. For this example, the section code from ECE2008 is selected.
4. Repeat step 3 from 1.1 For Master Space to save your file in CSV format.
1. Navigate to the desired VU Collaborate space and select the Space Admin menu and select Classlist.
2. In your Classlist, select Add Participants drop-down menu and click on Import users from a file on your computer.
3. In the Import Users From File window, scroll down to the Import file: Choose File option, click on the Choose File button and select your CSV file.
4. The Import Options provide the option to send an email to existing users. If the Send email function is ticked, it will automatically notify newly added staff via email.
Once you are done with the settings, select Import to upload your staff list.
An example of sending email to users option.
When uploading the import (CSV) file, you might encounter some error messages from the system below.
Please find some of the common messages and explanations below to troubleshoot your issue.
|The specified user is already enrolled in this org unit||The staff is already enrolled in the unit shell.|
|You do not have permission to enrol this user.||You don't have permission to enrol staff into that specific role (as a block instructor, you cannot enrol a block convenor)|
|You do not have permission to create this user||The provided staff ID is incorrect|
|The specified section is not valid||The section code is incorrect|
1. To change the enrolment of teaching staff, check the box next to the staff name in the Classlist.
2. Click on the Enrolment icon.
3. In the Change Enrolments window, you can adjust a user's role. After you have selected a new role, click on Save to apply your changes.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.