Creating Automatically Allocated Groups
If group projects are a part of a course, VU Collaborate’s Groups tool is a great resource to set up areas for students to submit group assignments and have discussion areas specifically for members of these Groups. Furthermore, where students are enrolled into groups, you can release specific content or other assessment tasks to provide an individualised online experience for students.
This guide shows the process of setting up groups in VU Collaborate where students can be automatically allocated to them by VU Collaborate.
To see how to create automatically allocated groups, see the video below:
Following are the steps in the written guide on to creating automatically allocated groups:
- Access Groups
- Create a Group Category
- Insert Category Information
- Advanced Properties
- Additional Options
- Save and Close
- Change Group Names
- Viewing Group Member Information
1. Select Groups from the Communication menu.
In the Manage Groups section, there will be automated Groups that have been synced from Allocate+ Timetable. These are updated automatically from Allocate+ so will be up to date about which student is in which class. You will be able to identify these as beginning with Allocate+ AP_Your Unit Code_The Class (as below).
1. Select New Category under the Manage Groups heading.
1. Insert a Category Name and provide a brief description of your groups (optional).
2. Click Enrolment Type, select either "Groups of #" or "# of Groups".
3. Use Groups of # if you would like to specify how many students are to be allocated per group. When prompted, insert the Number of Users per group.
4. Use # of Groups if you would like to specify how many groups you would like to create, and students will be divided accordingly. When prompted, insert the Number of Groups.
5. Below this, there is an option to Restrict Enrolments To.
Note: This is used to create Groups within a Group. For instance, if in a tutorial you have devised a Group Exercise that does not apply to any of the other tutorials for the same Unit, you can use this to restrict your Group to only that tutorial. It can also be used to restrict to Sections. For instance, if you needed to create Group Dropboxes that only apply to Bachelor of Nursing but the unit is offered to other Courses, you can use this restriction to do so.
1. If you would like new students to be auto-enrolled or students to be randomised in groups, select the appropriate tick box.
If the ‘Randomise users in Groups’ option is not selected, students will be allocated alphabetically.
1. When creating groups you are also able to set up additional tools for groups such as a separate discussion area, locker and Assessment Dropbox. This will allow groups to collaborate further with each other and submit a group assignment if required.
If creating a discussion area or an Assessment Dropbox, once you click Save additional options will appear allowing you to create the required discussion area or Assessment Dropbox folder.
1. Once you have finalised the properties and options of the group, click Save to create them.
Note: Although the purpose of these enrolment types is to ensure the process of creating groups is automated, you are still able to manually add and remove students from groups. To manually allocate students, view Step 7 of the Creating Manually Allocated Groups How-To guide.
1. If you wish to re-name each individual group to something more relatable, click on the name of the group.
2. Enter the new name in the Group Name field. Click Save to return to the previous screen.
1. To view which students are allocated to a specific group, click on the number in the Members column.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.