How to share a Panopto video
Once you have recorded your video with Panopto you will likely want to share it. You can use Panopto's sharing options to share the video with individual students or with the wider class. You can email a private link or enable access to it via a folder. Once your video is shared, students will be able to easily watch and review as needed. This could be useful in many situations like presentations, feedback, and extra materials.
If you are sharing the video with students in a class, the best way to share it is to place the video into the VU Collaborate unit space. The method to do that is shown in How to embed a Panopto video.
This guide will cover different ways to share a video and how to share a video with multiple users or share to a folder.
1.1 Share with One Person
1. Start by locating your video in the relevant Panopto folder.
2. Hover over the video you want to share and click on the Share icon. This will open your sharing options.
3. Under Invite People, start typing the name or username of a person you want to share with and a list of suggested people will appear for you to select from. You can invite more than one person if needed.
For a person's name to show up as you type, and for you to be able to share it with them in this manner, they need to have a VU Panopto account first.
4. Before sending out the invite, you have the option to include a message and notify them via email. Click on Send and save changes once you are done.
5. You will then notice that the name of person you shared the video with, now appears in the list of users who have access to it.
1.2 Share with a Wider Audience
1. You can also share the video with a wider audience. Click on the button under Who has access to change the sharing option.
- Specific People: This option allows you to share the video with specific people as viewers.
- Anyone at your organization with the link: Choosing this option will enable viewing access for anyone who can log into your Panopto site and has the direct link.
- Anyone with the link: Choosing this option will enable viewing access for anyone on the Internet who has the direct link, no sign-in is required.
2. Once you have selected the best option for your video, click on Save changes to share the video.
3. Once you have saved this choice, copy the link or embed code from the top of the window to send to the people you want to share the video with.
1. Click on the folder you would like to share then click on the Share icon on the right-hand corner of your screen.
2. This will open up a pop up window where you can set the permissions when sharing a folder.
A subfolder will, by default, have the setting, "Inherit permissions from: ParentFolderName". If a subfolder is inheriting permissions, it has the same sharing settings as its parent folder. If the parent folder is shared, then this subfolder will also be shared along with it. If you want to change who can see videos in the subfolder, then you will have to add them in the parent folder settings.
2.1 Invite People
1. Just as shown in Step One previously, under Invite People, start typing the name or username of a person or group you want to share with and a list of suggested people will appear for you to select from. You can continue to add additional people if needed.
2. Select from the drop-down arrow, the permissions you want the people to have in that folder.
- View: They view what's in the folder.
- Create: They can create, upload, edit, and share videos for that folder.
- Publish: They can approve content for the folder if the approval workflow is enabled.
3. Once again, you have the option to include a message and notify them via email. Click on Send and save changes once you are done.
2.2 Sharing with a Wider Audience
This is the same process as in step 1.2 Share with a wider audience.
Stopping Panopto downloads
Click on the picture below to watch a short demonstration of how to stop or manage Panopto downloads.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.