Assessing and Grading Discussions
This guide will show how to assess Discussions in VU Collaborate. This is a great way to encourage students to interact with the teaching staff, the content and each other.
If you have not already created your Discussions and associated grade item, see Using Discussions.
Step One: Accessing your Discussion
1. From the main navigation bar, select Communication and click Discussions.
You will also notice notifications in the Updates Widget informing you of the new unread discussion messages. You can click this link, but it will only appear when they have not been viewed.
2. In your Discussions list, find the Topic you would like to assess. Click the small dropdown arrow to the right of the title and select Assess Topic.
3. Click the Assessments tab and select the student you would like to assess.
4. An assessment window will open. Depending on the settings of your assessment, there will be messages for you to mark individually or the topic as a whole.
When you created your Discussion, you will have selected how to score – see Step Four of Using Discussions – and this will determine how your scoring is calculated.
5. Enter the scores for each and click Save and Close.
6. This will return you to the Assessments menu within Discussions. A score will appear in numerical and percentage form. You can select to have it published if appropriate. If you do not select the publish button, the student will not see their grade.
Note: This can be changed at a later time. If you wish to publish the score in the future, click the dropdown arrow from the discussion topic, select Assess Topic and select Published, then Save and Close.
You can also click Publish All Scores to release all grades at once.
7. Click Save and Close, Save or Cancel.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.