Changing the Visibility of Grade Items
Grades within VU Collaborate can be set to reveal by date automatically or can be manually hidden and revealed. These features allow you to grade students' work and provide feedback in bulk, only revealing the grade to all students when you choose. Grades can also be set up with conditional releases, such as by groups. Be aware that the associated assessment item should also be hidden when a grade item is hidden, or the feedback applied will also be revealed.
Changing the visibility of grades can only be done by block convenors and convenors in the delivery space. In a master space, the change can be made by block convenors, convenors, block key academics.
This guide shows you three methods of setting release conditions and altering the visibility of grade items for students.
- Accessing the Grade Book
- Hide/Unhide Grade Items
- Set Availability Settings
- Release Condition Visibility Options
1. Navigate to your unit, click on Assessments on the navbar, and select Grades.
1. From the list of grades, click on the drop-down arrow next to the grade item you wish to adjust.
2. Select Hide from Users from the drop-down menu.
3. When your assessment item has been successfully hidden, it will have the crossed eye icon to denote that students won't be able to see it.
4. To unhide a grade item, simply click on the drop-down arrow next to the desired grade and select Make Visible to Users.
1. From your gradebook, select Edit from the drop-down menu next to the grade item.
2. By default, you will navigate to the Properties window, click on the Restrictions tab.
3. To make the grade item only visible for a specific time, click on the tick boxes next to Has Start Date and Has End Date and then click on the respective dates to open the inbuilt calendar.
4. Click on Save and Close to save the visibility changes made to the grade item.
When hiding grade items, it is also essential to conceal the dropbox or quiz associated with the grade item.
5. To do this, click on Assessments from the navbar and select either Dropbox or Quizzes.
6. Click on the drop-down arrow from either area and then select Hide from Users. This will ensure that any grades or feedback attached to the item are also hidden from students.
Along with time-based visibility, you can also set non-time-based release conditions. These allow you to attach a specific release condition, such as releasing grades to a particular group of students.
1. On the Restrictions tab for your grade item, click on Create and Attach.
2. Select the appropriate Condition Type to base the Grade Item visibility on ( i.e. Group Enrolment ).
3. Fill in required Condition Details ( i.e. Group 1 ).
5. Click Create to add the release condition.
6. Once added, the release conditions will appear as below. Click Save and Close to finish altering the grade visibility.
You can also add more than one release condition for a grade item; refer to this guide Using Release Conditions for more information.
If you are setting multiple release conditions for a grade item, make sure you check the To access this item, users must satisfy the field.
- All conditions must be met: students must satisfy all attached release conditions to view the grade item.
- Any condition must be met: students only need to meet one condition from the attached list to view the grade item.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.