Exporting and Importing Gradebook Data
The information in this guide is intended for Block Convenors and Block Instructors.
Gradebook data can be exported to your computer to modify offline or keep for auditing purposes. Export student grades to an Excel spreadsheet to allow you to add and modify grades offline. You then have the ability to import the spreadsheet back into the Gradebook for your VU Collaborate Space, making the management of large classes as simple as possible.
On this page:
- Accessing your Gradebook
- Export function:
- Importing Student Grades to Unit Gradebook
1. Select Grades from the Assessments tab.
Export student grades to an Excel spreadsheet to allow you to add and modify grades offline.
1. Select the Enter Grades tab on the top left.
2. Then click on the Export button.
Select Display Options
- Select All users (1) if you want to export the grades of all the students in the class or follow steps 2.1 to filter data to specific groups.
- In the Key Field (2), you can select either Org Defined ID or Username as they both would provide student IDs.
- In Sort By (3), select export in chosen order. i.e. (Name, Last name, Username).
Default orders are Org Defined ID, Last Name, and First Name.
Export Grade Values
3. Select the Grade Values you would like to export,
including Points, Weighted grades, or Grade Schemes.
4. Select the User Details that you would like to export.
Recommended to select Last Name and First Name, or else, only student ID numbers will be included.
5. Tick the checkbox next to each grade item that you wish to export.
6. Once done, select Export to CSV to export your data.
7. A pop-up window will appear.
Select the Download button to save the file on your device.
8. Once open, it will display student details and any values for each Grade item.
The Gradebook export function also allows you to download other details such as Classlist, Student email addresses, and Group enrolments.
1. To download these details, access Export function from Gradebook.
2. Scroll down to User Details.
3. Then, select
- (A) Email: to download classlist and student email addresses
- (B) Group Membership: to download all group enrolments.
You can use the CSV file to manually adjust and enter student results for each grade column. Then, later import them into the VU Collaborate space.
1. From your gradebook, select the Enter Grades tab on the top left.
2. Then click on the Import button.
3. Click on the Choose File button to locate a CSV file from your device.
4. Once uploaded, select Continue to further process.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service servicedesk.vu.edu.au for technical support.