Creating an Attendance Register
The Attendance tool within VU Collaborate allows teaching staff to create and monitor attendance for teaching sessions. You can also set up an alert system, for example, if students have not attended 80% of the total number of sessions. Students can also view their Attendance Register to be aware of how many sessions they have attended or missed.
This guide explains how you can create an Attendance Register to record sessions in your unit with VU Collaborate. The sessions can be anything related to your class such as: class attendance by date, tutorials attendance by tutor per week, workshops attendance by specific dates, etc.
Here are the steps to create an attendance register:
- Access the Attendance Tool
- Create a new Attendance Register
- Registering Students under Sessions
- Adding Sessions
- Deleting Sessions
- Changing the order of Sessions
- Confirming that your Attendance Register has been created
1. Access the Attendance tool by going to Space Admin from the navbar. Under Learner Management, click Attendance.
An Attendance Register can be created to record if students were present or absent for important sessions during your teaching period such as: classes, workshops and tutorials.
2.1 New Register
1. From the Attendance Registers menu, click on New Register.
2. Enter a Name for your attendance list, for example: Tutorials. Optionally, you can also enter a Description.
3. Choose Attendance Scheme from the drop-down list. The default scheme is System Scheme.
Note: To learn about Attendance Scheme please visit the How to guide: Creating an Attendance Scheme
4. Enter a percentage number in the Cause for Concern field, if you would like to receive a visual warning when students attendance is equal to or drops below your designated cause for concern percentage.
Note: To learn about how the Cause for Concern warning is displayed please visit the How to Guide: Recording Attendance
5. Check Allow users to view this attendance register, if you would like your students to see the attendance list and the recorded attendance data. For example, students will be able to see if they were Present or Absent in a session.
2.2 New Register – Users
1. Select what students you want to include in your Attendance Register. You can choose to include all the students that appear in your Classlist.
2. Alternatively, you can select a Group or Groups of students by selecting the Include all users in the following groups option. This will create an Attendance Register including only students who belong to that group. You can then create more Attendance Registers for each group.
1. Enter the Session Description for your Attendance Register. For example, if the Attendance Register is for tutorials, your sessions will detail the Tutorial sessions that students need to attend.
2. You can write in the Session Name field the dates in which the tutorial will be taken place.
3. Optionally, you can write a description for each session to include information such as contents, place of delivery and name of a tutor.
4. Click on Save to create your Attendance Register.
1. Enter the number of sessions to add and click on the green icon Add Sessions.
2. For example, if you type 2 in the Add Sessions field, this will add two empty extra rows where you can enter the details for each session.
1. You can delete sessions by clicking the Delete icon. This will result in a green plus icon appearing, indicating that you can restore what you have deleted.
2. To confirm that you want to delete the session click on Save.
Note: Deleting a session clears all data previously recorded. If you have recorded attendance make sure that you no longer need the data before deleting the session
1.You can reorder your sessions via the dropdown menu list that appears under Order.
2.To confirm that the order has been changed, click on Save.
1. Click on Close when you have finalised updating the information on your new Attendance Register.
2. Under the Attendance Registers Menu, you will be able to see the new register created displaying Register Name, Cause for Concern and Number of Sessions.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.