Using Release Conditions
Release conditions are a set of predefined conditions created that when met allow or prevent the user from taking a particular action. This can be used to create a custom learning path through a unit space. For example: Creating a release condition on session two that requires all of session one to be completed before moving on. Depth can be added to the unit by adding multiple release conditions.
Release conditions can be used on the following tools:
- Checklists and news items
- Content modules and topics
- Discussion forums and topics
- Assessment items such the dropbox, quizzes and surveys
- Grade items and categories
This help guide will walk you through adding a release condition to a content module.
Once a user meets a release condition, the condition is cleared for that user and cannot be reset. For example, if you attach a release condition to a discussion topic requiring users to achieve more than 60% on a quiz before they can access that topic, and one of your participants receives 72% on the quiz but you adjust their grade to 55% they will be able to access the topic because they did meet the requirement at some point.
Step one: Accessing Release Conditions
1. Access the VU Collaborate space in which you would like to add release conditions.
2. Click Learning Space on the Navigation bar.
3. Click the module that you wish to add release conditions to.
4. Click add restrictions found below the main module title
5. (Optional) Add dates that control when the item is made available. Click Add start date to enter when the item is available, Add due date to add the due date and Add end date to enter the final date that the item will be visible.
Once the end date that you enter has passed, the item will no longer be visible to the student.
6. Below this, there are two options for release conditions, create and browse.
7. If you have created previous conditions that you would like to reuse, you can click Browse. This will open a list of your prior conditions. Click all tools to filter your conditions. Click the radio button next to the condition you would like to reuse, and click Attach.
8. To create a new release condition, click Create.
Step two: Creating Release Conditions
1. Open the Select Condition Type dropdown menu. This menu has a variety of options to choose from. Scroll through to see what is available and click your option.
For the purpose of this example, select Grade Value on a Grade Item. These options are very specific. If Incomplete Checklist is selected, for instance, a student may only complete your content item if they currently have an incomplete checklist.
2. Click Select Grade Item to choose which grade item that the student is required to receive a mark for, to be able to complete this content. For more information on Grade Items, see Creating a Grade Item.
3. Under Criteria, select the grade range expected of the student to meet the condition.
4. Click Create when you are done.
5. You will then return to the Content in the Learning Space. The release condition will be visible below it. You can click the "X" to the right of it to remove it from this item.
6. The Release Conditions dropdown menu will also be visible. You can have more than one release condition attached. Whether you have one or more release conditions, you need to select All Conditions must be met (every release condition) or Any conditions must be met (one or more of the release conditions). Once complete, click Update.
7. Your release conditions are now saved. You can click them again at any time to edit, remove, create new or attach a different condition.
For this example a student would need to have a grade input greater than or equal to 50% for MC Quiz 1 in order to view the module Week 2 Motorcycle Roadcraft.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.