Creating Student Self Enrolment Groups
If group projects are a part of a course, VU Collaborate’s Groups tool is a great resource to set up areas for students to submit group assignments and have discussion areas specifically for members of these Groups. Furthermore, where students are enrolled into groups, you can release specific content or other assessment tasks to provide an individualised online experience for students. This guide goes through the process of setting up groups in VU Collaborate where students can select which group they want to be a part of.
To see a short video on How to Create Student Self Enrolment Groups, see the video below:
Below are the steps in the written guide on Creating Student Self Enrolment Groups:
1. In your VU Collaborate space on the navigation bar, click Communication then Groups.
2. The Manage Group page is where all your group categories will be listed.
Allocate+ groups are the first listed groups. These groups are automatically created, and group membership is synced from Allocate+ timetable daily. You can identify these groups as they begin with AP_ (Allocate Plus), followed by the unit code and class (AP_UnitCode_Class). DO NOT modify these groups as changes can cause errors.
1. Select New Category under the Manage Groups heading.
2. Enter a Category Name and you may also provide a brief description of your groups.
3. In the Enrolment Type, select either Groups of # - Self Enrolment, # of Groups – Self Enrolment or # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrolment.
4. Use Groups of # - Self Enrolment if you would like to specify how many students are to be allocated per group. When prompted, insert the Number of Users per group; this can be decreased after the group has been created.
5. Use # of Groups – Self Enrolment if you would like to specify how many groups you would like to create, and students will be divided accordingly. When prompted, insert the Number of Groups; this can be decreased after creation.
6. Use # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrolment if you would like to specify both how many students are to be allocated into groups and how many groups are to be created. When prompted, insert both Number of Users and Number of Groups; this can be decreased at a later stage.
7. Below this, there is an option to Restrict Enrolments to.
Note: This is used to create Groups within a Group. For instance, if in a tutorial you have devised a Group Exercise that does not apply to any of the other tutorials for the same Unit, you can use this to restrict your Group to only that tutorial. It can also be used to restrict to Sections. For instance, if you needed to create Group Dropboxes that only apply to Bachelor of Nursing but the unit is offered to other Courses, you can use this restriction to do so.
8. (Optional) Advanced Properties provides the option to set a start date and expiry date for self-enrolment; there is also an option to allow or disallow students to enrol after the expiry date.
There is also an option to allow students to view the description of the group; however this does not appear for '# of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrolment' and 'Groups of # - Self Enrolment'.
9. (Optional) When creating groups you are also able to set up additional tools for groups such as a separate discussion area, locker and Assessment Dropbox. This will allow groups to collaborate further with each other and submit a group assignment if required.
Note: If creating a discussion area or an Assessment Dropbox, once you click Save additional options will appear allowing you to create the required discussion area or Assessment Dropbox folder.
10. Once you have finalised the properties and options of the group, click Save to create them.
Note: Although the purpose of these enrolment types is to permit students to self-enrol into groups, you are still able to manually add and remove students from groups. To manually allocate students, view Step 7 of the Creating Manually Allocated Groups How-To guide.
Note: DO NOT change the titles of the automated Groups. This will disable the syncing process as the system will not know which Group is which.
1. If you wish to re-name each individual group to something more relatable, click on the name of the group.
2. Enter the new name in the Group Name field. Click Save to return to the previous screen.
Note: Under no circumstances, DO NOT change the group code.
3. Click on the picture below to see a video showing how to change group names and how to enroll students.
This is not one of our lovely professionally done videos, just a quick demonstration.
Now that your self-enrollment groups have been created, students are now able to allocate themselves to a group. To do this, students will navigate to Groups from the Communication Menu within your Space. This will be based on any enrolment start/expiry date set out in step 2.8.
1. A button at the top of the page will prompt the student to select View Available Groups.
2. The student will proceed to click on the button next to the desired group and click Join Group.
Note: The screenshots in this step are of the student view and will differ from what a staff member will see. To view this as a student Impersonate a Test Student in your space.
3. (Optional) To view which students are allocated to which group, click on the number in the Members column.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.