Creating Student Self Enrolment Groups
If group projects are a part of a course, VU Collaborate’s Groups tool is a great resource to set up areas for students to submit group assignments and have discussion areas specifically for members of these Groups. Furthermore, where students are enrolled into groups, you can release specific content or other assessment tasks to provide an individualised online experience for students. This guide goes through the process of setting up groups in VU Collaborate where students can elect which group they want to be a part of.
To see a short video on how to create student self enrolment groups, see the video below:
Below are the steps in the written guide on Creating Student Self Enrolment Groups:
- Step One: Access Groups
- Step Two: Create a Group Category
- Step Three: Insert Group Category Information
- Step Four: Additional Options
- Step Five: Save and Close
- Step Six: Change Group Names
- Step Seven: Advise Students to Self-Enrol
- Step Eight: Viewing Group Member Information
1. Access the groups tool by selecting Groups from the Communication menu.
In the Manage Groups section, there will be automated Groups that have been synced from Allocate+ Timetable. These are updated automatically from Allocate+ so will be up to date about which student is in which class. You will be able to identify these as beginning with Allocate+ AP_Your Unit Code_The Class (as below).
1. Select New Category under the Manage Groups section.
1. Insert a Category Name and provide a brief description of your groups (optional).
2. In the Enrolment Type, select either Groups of # - Self Enrolment, # of Groups – Self Enrolment or # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrolment.
Use Groups of # - Self Enrolment if you would like to specify how many students are to be allocated per group. When prompted, insert the Number of Users per group.
3. Use # of Groups – Self Enrolment if you would like to specify how many groups you would like to create, and students will be divided accordingly. When prompted, insert the Number of Groups.
4. Use # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrolment if you would like to specify both how many students are to be allocated into groups and how many groups are to be created. When prompted, insert both Number of Users and Number of Groups.
5. Below this, there is a an option to Restrict Enrolments to.
Note: This is used to create Groups within a Group. For instance, if in a tutorial you have devised a Group Exercise that does not apply to any of the other tutorials for the same Unit, you can use this to restrict your Group to only that tutorial. It can also be used to restrict to Sections. For instance, if you needed to create Group Dropboxes that only apply to Bachelor of Nursing but the unit is offered to other Courses, you can use this restriction to do so.
1. When creating groups you are also able to set up additional tools for groups such as a separate discussion area, locker and Assessment Dropbox. This will allow groups to collaborate further with each other and submit a group assignment if required.
Note: If creating a discussion area or an Assessment Dropbox, once you click Save additional options will appear allowing you to create the required discussion area or Assessment Dropbox folder.
1. Once you have finalised the properties and options of the group, click Save to create them.
Note: Although the purpose of these enrolment types is to permit students to self-enrol into groups, you are still able to manually add and remove students from groups. To manually allocate students, view Step 7 of the Creating Manually Allocated Groups How-To guide.
Note: DO NOT change the titles of the automated Groups. This will disable the syncing process as the system will not know which Group is which.
1. If you wish to re-name each individual group to something more relatable, click on the name of the group.
2. Enter the new name in the Group Name field. Click Save to return to the previous screen.
Note: Under no circumstances, Do not change the group code.
Now that your self-enrolment groups have been created, students are now able to allocate themselves to a group. To do this, students will navigate to Groups from the Communication Menu within your Space.
1. A button at the top of the page will prompt the student to select View Available Groups.
2. The student will proceed to click on the button next to the desired group and click Join Group.
Note: The screenshots in this step are of the student view and will differ from what a staff member will see. To view this as a student Impersonate a Test Student in your space.
1. To view which students are allocated to which group, click on the number in the Members column.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.