The VU Collaborate Content tool is used to view, add, edit and organise course materials such as readings, lecture notes, audio and video recordings. Using the Content tool you can:
- Add content from existing sources such as documents as weblinks
- Link course activities such as discussions, quizzes, assessment dropboxes and H5P
- Release content selectively and track which modules have been completed.
Content is accessed in the Learning Space section of the homepage.
The features available in the Learning Space are numbered and listed below.
1. Search Topics - Find a topic within the space by typing a key word here then pressing Enter.
2. Unit Overview – It is recommended NOT to add information in this area as there are no associated analytics. This will not be confusing for students as they won't see the link if it is left empty. The Unit Guide is now accesssible via a widget on the front page of the unit, on the right side of the news item(s).
3. Bookmarks – Lists the topics you’ve bookmarked in this space.
4. Course Schedule – Lists unit material, assignment due dates and other unit events (e.g. Quizzes, before/after class activities).
5. Table of Contents – Displays thetitles of all Modules and Sub-Modules.
6. Module – Displays the materials and outline for each Session within the selected Module. Sub-Modules are in an indented list below the module.
7. Add a module – Provides the option to add a new Module to the Learning Space by typing in the title and pressing Enter.
More Content Features within a Module
1. Module name.
2. Edit which allows change of Module name and other options regarding the Module.
3. Print provides the option to print whatever is on the screen.
4. Settings - Completion tracking can be changed here, otherwise in most situations the other settings should not be changed.
5. Add Restrictions - Allows for timed or custom restrictions to be placed on the module.
6. This sets the module as either Hidden or Visible (the former is visible to students, while the latter is not).
7. Description - Used to display a brief summary of what the module is about.
8. New - Use this function to create new content or learning activities.
9. Add Activities - Add links to Modules you have already created or provides access external learning tools.
10. Bulk Edit - Provides the ability to edit multiple aspects of each Module at once (more details later in this guide).
11. Expand All - Will expand all sub modules on the screen.
12. Collapse All - Will collapse all sub modules from view.
13. Eight Dots - Allow movement of modules (reorder).
14. Sub module name.
15. Collapse the individual sub module from view.
16. Drag and Drop option, where files can be inserted into the particular sub module.
17. Completion tracking (ticks) – Can be made to be tracked automatically (recorded upon first visit by student), manually (students must tick the tickbox) or not at all.
18. Content - Everything included in the selected Module will be here.
19. Add a sub-module – Enter text to create a sub-module.
The New Menu
Use the New menu to create new content or learning activities.
Upload Files - Use this function to upload files (e.g. PDF and Word documents)
Video or Audio - Upload Video or Audio files here. Attempting this here is not recommended, instead follow these steps for Uploading, Linking or Embedding your Video on VU Collaborate.
New Document - This opens the HTML editor for you to add text, videos, pictures, links and tables. Additionally, you can insert H5P learning objects and Panopto videos here.
New Link - Insert a website link using a URL to enable students to view weblink sources.
Add Course Files - Use this function to insert files which have been uploaded in the VU Collaborate space.
New Checklist - Create and insert a new checklist into the module.
New Discussions - Create and insert a new discussion topic into the module.
New Assessment Dropbox - Create and insert a new Assessment Dropbox into the module.
New Quiz- Create and insert a new Quiz into the module.
New Survey- Create and insert a new Survey into the module.
The Add Activities Menu
Use the Add Activities menu to add links in module to learning activities that you have already created or link an External Learning Tool.
You can use this menu to add existing Assessment Dropboxes, Chat Rooms, Checklists, Discussions, ePortfolio items, Quizzes, Surveys, Virtual Classrooms or upload a document from One Drive.
Additionally, you can use the Add Activities menu to link external learning tools including:
- Campus Pack Blog, Journal, Wiki and Podcast
- eReserve - Adding the Readings tool to a Unit Space
Use Bulk Edit to edit all topics within the module at the same time.
Using Bulk Edit, the editable features including:
1. Topic title - Click on the Topic title to rename it.
2. Add restrictions - Click on Add restrictions to attach release conditions.
3. Add a description - Click on Add a description to add instructions or a short description of the topic.
4. Draft/published status - Click on this drop-down menu to toggle between the draft and published status.
5. Delete - Click on this icon to delete the topic.
6. Completion tracking - This completion method can be used to track students progress of a completion of a topic or tied to tools such as restrictions and intelligent agents.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.