The VU Collaborate Content tool is used to view, add, edit and organise course materials such as readings, presentations, audio and video recordings. Using the Content tool you can:
- Add content from existing sources such as documents as weblinks
- Link course activities such as discussions, quizzes, assessment dropboxes and H5P
- Release content selectively and track which modules have been completed.
It is vital to note that only copyright-free materials such as creative commons licensed materials, OER or VU owned materials are uploaded. Check copyright terms and conditions before uploading anything, especially PDF files retrieved from VU licensed databases as there is an increased risk of copyright infringements occurring. For further support and information on your copyright responsibilities read through the Copyright for teaching at VU or Copyright on VU Collaborate Help Guide.
Content is accessed in the Learning Space section of the homepage.
The features available in the Learning Space are numbered and listed below.
1. Search Topics - Find a topic within the space by typing a keyword here then pressing Enter.
2. Unit Overview – It is recommended NOT to add information in this area as there is no associated analytics. This will not be confusing for students as they won't see the link if it is left empty. The Unit Guide is now accessible via a widget on the front page of the unit, on the right side of the news item(s).
3. Bookmarks – Lists the topics you’ve bookmarked in this space.
4. Course Schedule – here you can list unit material, assignment due dates and other unit events (e.g. Quizzes, before/after class activities).
5. Table of Contents – Displays the titles of all Modules and Sub-Modules.
6. Module – Displays the materials and outline for each Session within the selected Module. Sub-Modules are in an indented list below the module.
7. Add a module – Provides the option to add a new Module to the Learning Space by typing in the title and pressing Enter.
More Content Features within a Module
|2||Edit options||allows change of Module name and other options regarding the Module.|
|3||provides the option to print whatever is on the screen.|
|4||Settings||Completion tracking can be changed here, otherwise, in most situations, the other settings should not be changed.|
|5||Add Restrictions||allows for timed or custom restrictions to be placed on the module.|
|6||Status||This sets the module as either Hidden or Visible to students.|
|7||Description||Used to display a brief summary of what the module is about.|
|8||New||Use this function to create new content or learning activities.|
|9||Add Activities||Add links to Modules you have already created or provide access to external learning tools.|
|10||Bulk Edit||Provides the ability to edit multiple aspects of each Module at once (more details later in this guide).|
|11||Expand All||Will expand all submodules on the screen.|
|12||Collapse All||Will collapse all submodules from view.|
|13||Eight Dots||Allow movement of modules (reorder).|
|14||Sub module name|
|15||Collapse/Expand||to collapse or expand the individual submodule from view.|
|16||Drag and Drop||where files can be uploaded and inserted into the particular submodule.|
|18||Content||Everything included in the selected Module will be here.|
|19||Add a sub-module||Enter text and press Enter to create a sub-module.|
The New Menu
Use the New menu to create new content or learning activities.
|Upload Files||Use this function to upload files (e.g. PDF and Word documents)|
|Video or Audio||Upload Video or Audio files here.|
|New Document||This opens the HTML editor for you to add text, videos, pictures, links and tables. Additionally, you can insert H5P learning objects and Panopto videos here.|
|New Link||Insert a website link using a URL to enable students to view weblink sources.|
|Add Course Files||Use this function to insert files which have been uploaded in the VU Collaborate space.|
|New Checklist||Create and insert a new checklist into the module.|
|New Discussions||Create and insert a new discussion topic into the module.|
|New Assessment Dropbox||Create and insert a new Assessment Dropbox into the module.|
|New Quiz||Create and insert a new Quiz into the module.|
|New Survey||Create and insert a new Survey into the module.|
The Add Activities Menu
Use the Add Activities menu to add links in a module to learning activities that you have already created or link an External Learning Tool.
You can use this menu to add existing Assessment Dropboxes, Chat Rooms, Checklists, Discussions, ePortfolio items, Quizzes, Surveys, Virtual Classrooms or upload a document from One Drive.
Additionally, you can use the Add Activities menu to link external learning tools including:
Use Bulk Edit to edit all topics within the module at the same time.
Using Bulk Edit, the editable features include:
1. Topic title - Click on the Topic title to rename it.
2. Add restrictions - Click on Add restrictions to attach release conditions.
3. Add a description - Click on Add a description to add instructions or a short description of the topic.
4. Visible/Hidden status - Click on this eye icon to toggle between the visible and hidden status.
5. Completion tracking - This completion method can be used to track students progress of completion of a topic or tied to tools such as restrictions and intelligent agents.
6. Delete - Click on this icon to delete the topic.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.