Creating Manually Allocated Groups
If group projects are a part of a course, VU Collaborate’s Group tool is a great resource to set up areas for students to submit group assignments and have discussion areas specifically for members of these groups. Furthermore, where students are enrolled into groups, you can release specific content or other assessment tasks to provide an individualised online experience for students. This guide goes through the process of setting up groups in VU Collaborate where you can manually allocate students to groups.
The steps include:
- Access Groups
- Create a Group Category
- Category Information
- Additional Options
- Save and Close
- Change Group Names
- Allocating Students to a Group
- Select Students
- Viewing Group Member Information
1. Access the groups tool by selecting Communication > Groups.
In the Manage Groups section, there will be automated Groups that have been synced from Allocate+ Timetable. These are updated automatically from Allocate+. You will be able to identify these as beginning with Allocate+ AP_Your Unit Code_The Class (as below).
1. Click New Category under the Manage Groups section.
1. Enter a category name, and provide a brief description of your groups (optional).
2. Under the Enrolment Type dropbox, select # of Groups – No Auto Enrolments.
3. Enter the Number of Groups you wish to create.
Note: By selecting No Auto Enrolments, you’re electing to manually allocate students to each of the groups created; otherwise VU Collaborate will automatically allocate students on your behalf. See Creating Automatically Allocated Groups for automatic allocation instructions.
4. Below this, there is an option to Restrict Enrolments To.
Note: This is used to create Groups within a Group. For instance, if in a tutorial you have devised a Group Exercise that does not apply to any of the other tutorials for the same Unit, you can use this to restrict your Group to only that tutorial. It can also be used to restrict to Sections. For instance, if you needed to create Group Dropboxes that only apply to Bachelor of Nursing but the unit is offered to other Courses, you can use this restriction to do so.
1. When creating groups you are also able to set up additional tools for groups such as a separate discussion area, locker and Assessment Dropbox. This will allow groups to collaborate further with each other and submit a group assignment if required.
Note: If creating a discussion area or an Assessment Dropbox, once you click Save additional options will appear allowing you to create the required discussion area or Assessment Dropbox folder.
1. Once you have finalised the properties and options, click Save.
1. If you wish to re-name each individual group to something more relatable, click on the name of the group.
2. Enter the new name in the Group Name field.
3. Modify the group name and then click Save.
1. To allocate students into groups, ensure that the View Categories field is displaying the group category you just created.
2. Click on the arrow next to the group category name and select Enrol Users.
1. To allocate a student to a group, click on the checkbox in the corresponding group column.
2. You can add a student to multiple groups and can remove students by unticking the box.
3. When you have finished allocating students, select Save.
Tip: If you have large class sizes, use the Search For field to find specific students based on their name.
1. To view which students are allocated to a specific group, click on the number in the Members column.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.