Using Zoom App for Android
This guide will show you how to download and use the Zoom application. You may use the Zoom app on either an Android or iOS device if a laptop or a desktop is not accessible.
The following guide uses the Dark Android setting, this makes the background dark instead of light.
This guide covers the following topics; use these links for easier navigation:
- Download Zoom App on Android
- Log into Zoom App using Your Staff Account
- Meet and Chat on Zoom App
- Join a Meeting on Zoom App
- Start and Schedule a Meeting on Zoom App
All virtual classrooms need to be scheduled in VU Collaborate so students can access the sessions in the Delivery space. Unfortunately, Android and iOS applications do not sync with the Zoom Classroom space in VU Collaborate.
1. Download the Zoom Android app by visiting the Google Play Store.
You can download this app to any Android device. The application will sync with individual devices, not VU Collaborate.
2. You will need to type Zoom in the search bar and select the magnifying button. Then select the Zoom Cloud Meetings app.
3. Select Install.
4. Once the app is installed, it will appear as the following icon on your device screen.
When you need to access Zoom from your device, select this icon.
1. Select the Zoom app on the screen of your Android device.
2. To sign in, click on the Sign In button on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
3. You will need to choose the Sign in with SSO login option for your staff account.
4. Once you have chosen the SSO login, you will be prompted to enter the company domain.
The company domain should be entered as victoriauniversity. Then, select Continue.
On subsequent login via the Zoom app, you will not be required to re-enter the domain. Instead, the app will remember this for you.
5. You will then be moved to the below authentication screen. Please enter your staff login details for VU Collaborate ( eNumber and password ).
Please refer to the Zoom Essentials Help Guide, Accessing Zoom step 2.1, to learn how to log into your VU Zoom Staff Account correctly with Multifactor Authentication (MFA).
6. If the screen below appears, you have successfully logged in to the Zoom app via your Android device.
3.1 Creating a Group Chat on Zoom
The Zoom app lets you communicate with colleagues by using the Chat Function even if you are not participating in a virtual classroom.
1. Click Meet & Chat at the bottom left of the Zoom app home screen.
2. Click on the edit button on the top-right corner of the screen.
3. Type in the search bar to search for people you would like to communicate with or browse through your friends' list and select individuals you wish to add.
4. Select Start a Chat to finalise your selection.
You may choose multiple people to chat with.
If you choose to chat with multiple people, this will create a chat channel on the Meet & Chat page and the Contacts page.
5. The group chat is now available for use, select it to begin using it.
Setting a chat channel in the Zoom app with colleagues is an excellent way to send instant messages for support to each other.
3.2 Deleting a Group Chat or a Chat on Zoom
If your Group Chat was only temporary and you wish to close it down, follow these steps.
Only Admins have the ability to delete entire group chats.
1. Click on the Info button on the top right.
2. On the About Chat screen, scroll down to the bottom and select More Options.
3. Click Delete Channel. The Group Chat will now be deleted for all participants.
3.3 Chatting with Participants within a Zoom Session
1. When in a Zoom Session, click More at the bottom right of the Zoom App home screen.
2. You will see a page with further options such as virtual reactions ( emojis ) and meeting settings. Here select Chat.
As a default setting, Zoom will not allow chat options for your students for a private chat with peers during the virtual classroom. They will only be able to contribute to the Everyone chat feature with all participants for educational purposes. This feature is designed so students can ask questions and clarify any content in the Virtual Classroom.
3. As a host, you can send chat messages to students during the virtual classroom time if required, and they can return the chat to you or post it to all participants.
4. You can do this by searching for and selecting the student/s. As the Host, you can also send a chat using the Everyone option to ensure all participants can view the message.
When you action a private message or receive a private message, the Everyone option will be replaced while you communicate with the private message. However, if you wish to send all participants messages again, you will need to change the Send to: option to Everyone once more.
You may receive an email from colleagues or students inviting you to participate in an online meeting. The email should include the following:
- An invitation link
- A meeting ID
- A password (required as default)
Follow the below steps to log in to the Zoom app with your student account:
1. Open the sent email with your mobile device, which has the Zoom app.
2. Click on the Invitation link, and you will be able to use the Zoom app.
If the link does not work, follow the below steps:
3. Copy the meeting ID from the Zoom invitation email.
4. Open Zoom App.
5. Click Meet & Chat at the bottom left of the screen.
6. Click Join at the top of the page.
7. Type or Paste in the Meeting ID and click Join Meeting.
Make sure to check that Your Name is correctly spelt and professionally written before entering or starting the Zoom Session.
You may schedule your meeting between colleagues or students to communicate and discuss your progress and ask inquiries.
1. Click Meet & Chat at the bottom left of the Zoom app home screen.
2. Click Schedule at the top right window.
3. Add your topic Title.
This is optional, but we recommend that you name a meeting, so they are easily identifiable to you and the participants.
4. Set the date and time for the meetings.
5. You may enable Repeat to set a recurring meeting.
6. Set a password to make the meeting secure.
For security reasons, password protection is set by default in Zoom.
Ensure that Enable Waiting Room, Only Allow Authenticated Users and Add to Calander is enabled for extra security and assistance.
7. Click Done when you finish setting the meeting.
8. A popup window will appear. Backtrack by selecting your back arrow to view further options.
9. Select Invite.
10. Choose which messaging application you want to use to send the session link to others. Again, we recommend selecting Copy to Clipboard.
11. You can now paste the copied meeting link within any application such as Email, Messenger, WhatsApp, and other social media sites to share the link with others.
12. When it is time to begin the scheduled session, you can start the Zoom session by selecting Meetings on the bottom toolbar and then select Start on the correct session.
Your meeting will begin just as it would on a computer device. However, we still recommend importing and activating your virtual class sessions on a computer device through VU Collaborate and your Delivery Space to enable students to view and join in from VU Collaborate itself.
13. Copy your Meeting ID from your Meetings selection.
14. Go to your Delivery Space in VU Collaborate and select Communication on the navbar and then Zoom Classroom.
15. On the right-hand side of the page select the three dots and then Import meeting.
16. Paste your Session ID into the criteria box and then select Import.
Your Session will now be available for students to join in by logging into VU Collaborate. You may also start your session here as well.
17. Select Start on the correct Session to launch your virtual session.
5.1 You can also create an Instataniouis Zoom Session.
1. Select Meet & Chat at the bottom left of the Zoom App home screen.
2. Click New Meeting at the top left window.
3. Click Start a Meeting.
4. Once in a Zoom session, you may invite other participants not initially invited by clicking Participants at the bottom of the screen and clicking Invite at the bottom of the screen.
5. Again, there are many invite options available. We recommend using the Copy Invite Link to paste the link into emails and other forms of sharing information with your students or participants.
All virtual classrooms need to be scheduled in VU Collaborate so students can access the sessions in the Delivery space. Unfortunately, android and iOS applications do not sync with the Zoom Classroom space in VU Collaborate.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.