Introduction to H5P
H5P is open source software integrated with VU Collaborate which allows the easy and rapid creation of mobile friendly interactive elements which can form an integral part of your course content.
You can use H5P Learning Objects to create, share and reuse interactive content to engage students and stimulate their learning within VU Collaborate. This guide expands on the basic settings and access of using H5P and links you to guides which will assist you with creating various H5P learning objects.
If you are learning on how to use H5P for the first time or have encountered an issue using H5P click on one of the links below:
- Accessing H5P on VU Collaborate
- H5P Dashboard
- Creating H5P Learning Objects
- Inserting the H5P Learning Object into VU Collaborate
- Sharing H5P Learning Objects
- Linking the H5P Learning Object to Gradebook
- Creating H5P Learning Objects Collaboratively
- Finding Shared H5P Learning Objects here.
1. Login into VU Collaborate and select your desired unit space.
Note: All files created/shared using H5P can be accessed through all your unit spaces. It is bound to your user account, not your unit space.
2. Click on Learning Space on the navigation bar.
3. Click on your preferred module, then Select New.
4. Select New Document.
5. A New Document is created. Click on the Insert Stuff icon.
6. Click on H5P Learning Object to access the H5P tool.
The Picture below is the H5P Dashboard. Here you can create, view, edit, insert, clone, delete and view community shared learning objects. Read more to learn about the various basic functions of the H5P dashboard.
1. To create a new H5P learning object click on the Create new Learning Object button on the top left of the page. There are various guides avaiable to assist you with creating various types of H5P learning objects. Every type of H5P learning object has a different setup procedure. Please click on one of the guides below to learn about a specific learning object:
- Using the H5P Interactive Video Tool
- Using the H5P Course Presentation Tool
- Using the H5P Multiple Choice Question Tool
- Using the H5P Timeline Tool
- Full list of H5P Learning Objects Guides
2. To view your created H5P learning object click on the title of your H5P learning object.
3. There are a number of Actions available on your H5P dashboard, Edit, Clone, Insert and Delete.
- Edit: Allows you to change settings and modify your learning object.
- Clone: Makes a copy of your existing H5P learning object. The cloned object created will be created with a title beginning with 'Clone of'.
- Insert: Embeds your H5P learning object into your VUC document/HTML editor.
- Delete: Removes the H5P learning object.
Note: Ensure that you are in the 'My Learning Objects' tab to search for your own H5P learning objects. To search for community shared learning objects, click on the Shared Learning Objects instead.
4. To search for your own H5P learning object, enter a search term (e.g the title of your H5P learning object) below filter title or description and click on enter.
1. Click on the Create new Learning Object button on the top left of the page.
2. All files created/shared using H5P can be accessed through all your unit spaces. It is bound to your user account, not your unit space. The H5P New Learning Object creation screen will appear.
3. Give your H5P learning object a Title.
4. Select a value (your college).
5. Select a Content type. To see some examples of the commonly used H5Ps view the content section of the VU Collaborate Essentials.
Tip: Select a title that is easily identifiable, such as your unit number followed by the learning object name. This will make it easier for you to locate this object and share it with your colleagues in the future.
6. Enter your unit code in the Discipline / Area section to easily find your H5P object in the future.
7. Tick Shared to enable others to share your H5P object with your colleagues. Tick Send Grades To VU Collaborate to link your H5P object to a grade item. Read more about Sharing your H5P Learning Object and Linking Grades to gradebook here.
8. To complete your H5P learning object, scroll to the bottom of the screen, ensure that the Display buttons and Copyright button is selected.
9. Click on Save.
1. Navigate to your H5P Dashboard and click the My Learning Objects tab.
2. Next to your title of your H5P learning object, click on Insert.
3. A preview of your H5P learning object is shown, click on Insert.
4. Give your document a Title, this is the name that students will see to access the H5P learning object from their unit module
5. Click on Publish to share this content with students now or Save as Draft to share with students at a later time.
H5P learning objects can be shared and used amongst staff members at Victoria University. By selecting the Shared option, other staff members teaching the same subject in the future can use and edit the materials you have created for the unit. Additionally, other staff members from all faculties can view your created H5P learning object and modify it for their teaching.
1. Give your H5P learning object a number of keywords in order for your H5P objects to be found by other staff members eg. unit number, title of video.
2. Click on the checkbox beside Shared.
Tip: Ensure that you have given your H5P learning object an easily identifiable title and Discipline/Area so that it can be easily found by other users.
If you would like your H5P learning object to be assessed or be incorporated into the Gradebook you can do so. Keep in mind that this is a permanent setting and cannot be changed in the future.
1. Click on the checkbox, Send grades to VU Collaborate gradebook.
Tip: If you would like to link an existing H5P Learning Object to your VU Collaborate Gradebook, clone your H5P object to make a new H5P learning object and select Send grades to VU Collaborate gradebook.
If your H5P object is being created as a team, you can add additional users to edit this H5P learning object. This is done by adding the user as another author to the learning object.
1. Click on the field below Additional authors and search of the users name or staff number.
2. Click on the blue region to select the user.
Note: If the staff member does not appear in the list, please prompt them to login to VU Collaborate and access H5P first. This action will only be required once.
3. If you wish to add another user click on Add another Author.
4. The H5P learning object will appear in the other authors 'My Learning Object' screen.
1. Navigate to the H5P Dashboard.
2. Click on Shared Learning Objects.
3. Search for the title of the Learning Object, filter by College or Discipline.
Tip: If you are having trouble finding a learning object, check with the original creator of the H5P Learning Object and ensure that it has been shared.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.