Introduction to H5P
H5P is an open source software integrated within VU Collaborate, which allows you to easily create interactive content which can form an essential part of your course content.
You can use H5P Learning Objects to create, share and reuse interactive content to engage students and stimulate their learning within VU Collaborate. This guide explains the basic settings and links to useful help guides, which will assist you while creating your own H5P learning object.
This guide includes:
- Accessing H5P on VU Collaborate
- H5P Dashboard
- Creating H5P Learning Objects
- Inserting the H5P Learning Object into VU Collaborate
- Sharing H5P Learning Objects
- Finding Shared H5P Learning Objects here
- Troubleshooting an H5P
Click on the picture below to see a video showing how to complete the writing report for H5P. This is not one of our lovely professionally done videos, just a quick demonstration.
1. Login into VU Collaborate and select your desired unit space.
All files created/shared using H5P can be accessed through all your unit spaces. It is linked to your user account, not your unit space.
2. Click on Learning Space on the navigation bar.
3. Click on your preferred module, then Select New.
4. Select New Document.
5. A New Document is created. Click on the Insert Stuff button.
6. Click on H5P Learning Object.
The first image is showing what the H5P Dashboard looks like. Here you can create, view, edit, insert, move, clone or delete learning objects. Continue reading to learn more about the basic functions of the H5P dashboard.
1. Create a new H5P learning object by clicking on the Add content button on the left hand side at the top of the page. To select an already existing H5P, click Insert to select it.
2. Click on the three dots (located next to the 'Insert button') to view more actions for your H5P. There are a number of Actions available on your H5P dashboard, Edit, Clone, Insert, Move and Delete.
- Edit: Allows you to change settings and modify your H5P learning object.
- Clone: Makes a copy of your existing H5P learning object. The cloned object will be named 'Clone of (+ your H5P's title)', for example 'Clone of Session 1 - ASL1112'.
- Insert: Embeds your H5P learning object into your VU Collaborate HTML editor.
- Delete: Deletes the H5P learning object.
- Move: Helps moving the H5P to a different folder.
3. To view your created H5P learning object, click on the title.
There are various guides available to assist you with creating different types of H5P learning objects (Drag and Drop, Course Presentation, Mark the Words for example). Each H5P type has a different setup procedure.
Click on one of the guides below to learn more about the different H5P types:
- Using the H5P Interactive Video Tool
- Using the H5P Course Presentation Tool
- Using the H5P Multiple Choice Question Tool
- Using the H5P Timeline Tool
- Full list of H5P Learning Objects Guides
Note: Ensure that you are in the 'My Content' tab when searching for your own H5P learning object. To search for learning objects shared with you, click on the 'Shared with Me' instead. If you click on 'All Content' you will see all the H5P learning objects available at VU.
4. To search for your own H5P learning object, enter a search term (e.g the title of your H5P learning object).
1. Click on the Add Content button at the top of the page.
2. All files created/shared using H5P can be accessed through all your unit spaces. It is linked to your user account, not your unit space.
3. The 'Create New Content' screen will appear. On this screen you can select to Create Content or Upload Content, the upload function can be used to upload an already existing H5P that you have downloaded previously on your computer.
4. You can search for different H5P types in the search field, e.g. Course Presentation.
5. Click on the title of the H5P type you would like to create, e.g. Multiple Choice.
6. Give your H5P learning object a Title.
Tip: Select a title that is easily identifiable, such as your unit number followed by the learning object name. This will make it easier for you to locate this object and share it with your colleagues in the future.
7. At the bottom of the screen you can adjust your H5P's settings (you can leave these settings by default or make alterations):
1 - Display options: (previously 'Display and copyright buttons') What options do you want to be visible for the user, for example you can tick the display download button to enable students/staff to download the H5P to their own computer. You can also tick the Display embed button, which allows the user to embed the H5P into their HTML editor in VU Collaborate for example.
2 - Publish: This option allows you to make the H5P Unpublished (content can not be inserted into VUC), Protected (content can be inserted into VUC) or Public (visible to the public using a content link and the content can be inserted into LMS and be embedded). Protected is the default setting and it is recommended to leave this setting as it is.
3 - Folder: (previously 'My Content') All your content will be saved in one spot, within a root folder.
4 - Collaborators: (previously 'Authors') In this setting you can add and search for other collaborators and give them access to edit your H5P's. For example, if you are teaching a unit with another staff member and you would like them to have access to edit your H5P's, then you can use the searchfield to locate another staff member by typing in their full name.
5 - Sharing: (previously called 'Select value') This is where you share your H5P with others, so they can view and clone your content. There is a folder allocated for each college, for example 'Arts and Education', select your College.
6 - LTI Settings: (previously 'Send Score to LMS') In this section you can link your H5P directly to VU Collaborate and also link it to your gradebook. It is recommended to leave this setting as it is, and NOT send the results to the gradebook.
8. To complete your H5P learning object, click on Save and Insert to insert the H5P into your space OR click Save to save your new H5P in the root folder.
9. After clicking Save you will be directed to a preview of the H5P, from this screen you can Select Folder, View, Insert, Edit or Publish your H5P. There are more options located under the three dots on the right hand side.
1. Start by Accessing H5P in VU Collaborate.
2. Navigate to your H5P Dashboard and click the My Content tab. Find the H5P you want to insert in the list under My Content. If you have a lot of H5Ps in your list, put the name (or part of it) in the Search My Content bar and click the search icon.
3. Click on Insert.
4. A preview of your H5P learning object is displayed, double check that everything looks good and then click Insert.
5. Give your H5P a Title, this is the name that students will see.
6. Click on Publish to share this content with students now or Save as Draft to share with students at a later time.
H5P learning objects can be shared and used amongst staff members at Victoria University. By selecting the Collaborators or Sharing option, other staff members teaching the same unit can use and edit the H5P's you have created for the unit. Additionally, other staff members from all faculties can view and clone your created H5P learning object and modify it for their teaching.
1. Under the Collaborators tab, Search for another staff member in the search field using their full name.
2. Under the Sharing tab, in order to give everyone access to view and clone your H5P, pick a folder to share your H5P in, for example 'Arts and Education'.
Ensure that you have given your H5P learning object an easily identifiable title so that it can be easily found again and by other users. For example, ABC1234 Dvpt Psychs Vygotsky.
1. Navigate to the H5P Dashboard, click on the drop down menu next to My Content.
2. Select the Shared with Me option.
3. Search for the title of the H5P.
If you are having trouble finding a learning object, check with the original creator of the H5P Learning Object and ensure that it has been shared.
What do you do when students can't see the H5P but you can?
At times, links may appear broken in spaces during the creation stage, leading students to not being able to access the interactive tools. Instead an error message will appear such as: ‘Unavailable Quicklink’ see image below.
You are able to see the H5Ps because you have superior access to VU Collaborate from students. When this happens, you will need to re-insert the H5P's again in the space.
1. Navigate to the module where the H5P is not available for students and click Edit HTML.
2. Scroll through the module and delete the H5P that you want to re-insert, then click Insert Stuff.
3. Scroll through the options and select H5P Learning Object, then select the H5P activity from the list and click Insert.
4. Once you have inserted the H5P, click Save and Close to save the H5P into VU Collaborate.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.