Using Zoom App for iOS
This guide will show you how to download and use the Zoom application using an Apple product such as an iPhone or iPad. You may use the Zoom app on either an iOS or Android device if a laptop or a desktop is not accessible.
This guide covers the following topics, use these links for easier navigation:
- Download Zoom App on iOS
- Log into Zoom App using Your Staff Account
- Meet and Chat on Zoom App
- Join a Meeting on Zoom App
- Start and Schedule a Meeting on Zoom App
- Security Features
Academic staff should schedule their virtual classrooms in VU Collaborate so that students can see the sessions in the Delivery space. Android and iOS applications do not sync with the Zoom Classroom space in VU Collaborate. Professional staff can use these applications to schedule meetings as required as long as they are no requirement for students to access the meeting in VU Collaborate.
1. Download the Zoom iOS app, by visiting the Apple Store.
You can download this app to any android device, the application will sync with individual devices, not VU Collaborate.
2. Search for the Zoom app using the search bar in the Apple Store.
3. Then select the Zoom Cloud Meetings app by clicking on the icon highlighted.
4. Once you have selected the app as below you will be able to install the application.
5. Select Install.
6. Once the app is installed, it will appear as the following icon on your device screen.
7. When you need to access Zoom from your device you simply select the above icon.
1. Select the Zoom App on the screen of your iOS device.
2. Once you have selected the Zoom App on your device for the first time the below will appear.
3. Select Open.
4. To sign in simply click on the sign-in button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
5. You will then need to select how you are going to access your staff account. For your, staff account you will need to choose SSO login.
6. Once you have chosen SSO login you will be prompted to enter the company domain.
7. The company domain should be entered as victoriauniversity.
8. Then select Continue.
Note: On subsequent login, via the Zoom app you will not be required to re-enter the domain. The app will remember this for you.
8. You will then be moved to the below authentication screen. Please enter your staff login details for VU Collaborate.
9. If the below screen appears you have successfully logged in to the Zoom App via your device.
Zoom app enables you to communicate with your colleagues and student by using the Chat Function even if you are not participating in a virtual classroom.
1. Click Meet & Chat at the bottom left of the Zoom app home screen.
2. Click on the top-right corner on the screen.
3. Type in the search bar the person you would like to communicate with or browse through the list.
Note: You may choose multiple people to chat with.
4. If you choose to chat with multiple people, this will create a chat channel that will appear in the Meet & Chat page and the Contacts page.
Tip: Setting a chat channel in the Zoom app with colleagues is a good way of being able to send instant messages for support etc.
During a virtual Zoom session, you may check who is participating in the classroom and communicate with them.
1. Click Participants at the bottom right of the Zoom app home screen.
You will see a page with all the present virtual classroom participants.
2. Click Chats at the bottom left of the page. You can also invite a participant/s to join the meeting and send them a notification of their attendance from the app.
3. When using the chat function you type your message and click send. Now all students can see this message.
Note: As a default setting, Zoom will not allow chat options for your students privately with peers during virtual classrooms. They will only be able to contribute to the Everyone chat feature with all participants for educational purposes. This feature is designed so students can ask questions and clarify any content in the Virtual Classroom.
4. As a Lecturer/Educator you can send chat messages to students during your virtual classroom time if required.
5. You can do this by searching for and selecting the student/s. As the Host, you can also send chat using the Everyone feature.
You may receive an email from your colleagues or students inviting you to participate in an online meeting. The email should include the following:
- A meeting ID
- A password (required as default)
- An invitation link
Follow the below steps to log in the Zoom app with your staff account:
1. Open the sent email with your mobile device which has the Zoom app.
2. Click on the invitation link and you will be able to use the Zoom app.
If the link does not work, follow the below steps:
3. Copy the meeting ID from the Zoom invitation email.
4. Open Zoom App.
5. Click Home.
6. Select the Join icon.
7. Type in the Meeting ID and click Join Meeting.
You may schedule your meeting between your colleagues or with students to communicate and discuss your progress and ask inquiries.
1. Click Home.
2. Click Schedule at the top right window.
3. Add your topic Title.
Note: This is optional but we recommended that you name a meeting so they are easily identifiable to you and the participants.
4. Set the Starts date and Duration for the meeting.
5. You may enable Repeat to set a reoccurring meeting.
Note: For security reasons, password protection is set by default in Zoom
7. Click Done when you finish setting the meeting.
8. Click Add Invitees.
9. Choose which mailing address you want to send to other people.
10. Click Add to Calendar to save your meeting.
11. Saving meetings to your calendar makes it easy for you and your participants to remember the date and time.
12. Select the calendar you wish to save the event in.
13. The invite will now appear on your calendar.
You may start a meeting immediately by:
14. Clicking on the Zoom App Home screen.
15. Click New Meeting at the top left window.
16. Click Start a Meeting.
17. You may invite other participants by clicking Participants at the top of the screen and clicking Invite.
For added security features, click on Security at the bottom of the screen. The security icon in the meeting controls allows you as the host or the assigned co-host of a meeting to enable or disable options during a meeting to secure the meeting and minimize disruption during the meeting.
1. You will be able to lock the meeting where more participants will not be allowed to enter.
2. You can enable the waiting room where participants will reach a waiting room where they need to be approved by you to be allowed in the meeting.
3. You can also enable or disable the screen share, chat and renaming features of the participants.
4. You can lock the option that allows participants to rename themselves.
5. You can remove participants permanently.
Note: Academic staff should schedule their virtual classrooms in VU Collaborate so that their students can see the sessions in the Delivery space. Android and iOS applications do not sync with the Zoom Classroom space in VU Collaborate. Professional staff can use these applications to schedule meetings as required as long as they are no requirement for students to access the meeting in VU Collaborate
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.