Using the H5P Speak the Words Tool
This guide will introduce a voice recognition content type allowing academics to ask their students a quesion that should be answered with their own voice. Please note that using Google Chrome is recommended since the built-in speech engine is only available in this browser.
For instructions on how to find and create H5P Learning Objects in your space, please see Inserting H5P in VU Collaborate.
Below are the steps use the H5P Speak the Words Tool
- Create the 'Speak the Words'
- Set up the 'Speak the Words'
- Preview and Publish 'Speak the Words Tool'
1. In the Learning Space choose the module you want the H5P to be in, click on New then New Document.
2. Click on the Insert Stuff button.
3. In the H5P tool, click Add Content.
4.4. Type Speak the Words in Search for Content Types. Then click Speak the Words.
1. Add a Title for the new object that will be easy to remember and find.
Under Describe task enter the task or question you would like to ask your students.
2. In the next step, thinking of the correct answer(s) to your task/question, enter at least one accepted answer, as shown in our example below. Click Add item if you want to add more accepted answers.
3. Next, enter the incorrect and correct answer(s). Select the language (English US recommended).
4. Under Text overrides and translations, you can edit settings or translate texts used in this content.
At the bottom of the screen you can adjust your H5P's settings (you can leave these settings by default or make alterations):
1 - Display options: (previously 'Display and copyright buttons') What options do you want to be visible for the user, for example you can tick the display download button to enable students/staff to download the H5P to their own computer. You can also tick the Display embed button, which allows the user to embed the H5P into their HTML editor in VU Collaborate for example.
2 - Folder: (previously 'My Content') All your content will be saved in one spot, within a root folder.
3 - Publish: This option allows you to make the H5P Unpublished (content can not be inserted into VUC), Protected (content can be inserted into VUC) or Public (visible to the public using a content link and the content can be inserted into LMS and be embedded). Protected is the default setting and it is recommended to leave this setting as it is.
4 - Collaborators: (previously 'Authors') In this setting you can add and search for other collaborators and give them access to edit your H5P's. For example, if you are teaching a unit with another staff member and you would like them to have access to edit your H5P's, then you can use the search field to locate another staff member by typing in their full name.
5 - Sharing: (previously called 'Select value') This is where you share your H5P with others, so they can view and clone your content. There is a folder allocated for each college, for example 'Arts and Education', select your College.
Note: To know more about Sharing and Collaborators, please see H5P Sharing and Collaboration.
6 - Send Score to LMS: (previously 'Send to Gradebook') In this section you can link your H5P directly to VU Collaborate and also link it to your gradebook. It is recommended to leave this setting as it is, and NOT send the results to the gradebook.
1. Click Save and Insert. A preview of the H5P object will appear.
2. The H5P object is now ready to add to your space. Click Insert to add the interactive video to the document.
3. Alternatively, you can click Save.
4. Then click Insert.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.