H5P Column Tool
This staff help guide will provide information on how to organise multiple H5P content types into a column layout using the H5P Column Tool.
The H5P Column Tool allows you to combine almost all of the available H5P learning objects that can be created for the VU Collaborate sites.
Below are the steps to use the H5P Column Tool:
- Getting Started
- Using the H5P Column Tool
- General H5P Settings
- Preview and Publish
- Delete an H5P within VU Collaborate
1. In the VU Collaborate learning space, choose the module you want the H5P to be in and select New and then New Document.
2. Click on the Insert Stuff icon.
3. Then, select the H5P Learning Object.
For instructions on how to find and create H5P Learning Objects in your space, please see Inserting H5P in VU Collaborate.
4. In the H5P Learning Object menu that appears, click on Add Content.
5. Type Column in the Search bar provided and click on Column to select the H5P Column tool in the content type dropdown menu.
Then, click on Details to see a tutorial or an example of a H5P column tool.
1. Once the details of the H5P Column tool are displayed, select Use.
2. Insert a title for your H5P column tool which is mandatory before proceeding. This is used for searching, reports, and copyright information.
3. Select the H5P dropdown under Content after providing a title to your H5P. A number of H5Ps will be displayed. Click on your preferred type of H5P to start using the column layout.
For more information on how to add and edit the different H5P contents, refer to the guides below:
Using the H5P Word Cloud Tool
Using the Image Slider H5P tool
Using the Agamotto H5P tool
Using the Emoticon Cloud tool
Using the H5P Interactive Video tool
Using the H5P course presentation tool
Using the H5P timeline tool
Using the H5P Image Hotspot Question Tool
Using the H5P Image Hotspot Tool
Using the H5P Summary Tool
Using the H5P Image Collage Tool
Using the H5P Single Choice Set Tool
Using the H5P Mark the Words Tool
Using the H5P Question Set Tool
Using the H5P Multiple Choice Question Tool
Using the H5P Guess the Answer Tool
Using the H5P Drag & Drop Tool
Using the H5P Fill in the Blanks Tool
Using the H5P Flashcard Tool
Using the H5P Documentation Tool
Using the H5P Dialogue Card Tool
Using the H5P Audio Tool
Using the H5P Accordion Tool
4. Once you have selected the H5P you want to start building, the relevant descriptions will be available to be filled in. For example, if you are using the Drap & Drop H5P tool, you will need to fill in the relevant information in Settings and Task to build your Drag & Drop H5P.
Click on Drag & Drop H5P tool for more information.
5. Once all the relevant information has been filled in, click on Add content to add a different H5P.
6. The text H5P tool can be added when you want to include a description or a message relating to the H5Ps.
7. Add and format your text in the text section to add it to your column H5P tool.
8. You can remove/delete any H5P within the Column Tool by clicking on the X on the top righthand corner.
2.1 Inserting a Previously Created H5P into the Column Tool
The Column Tool also allows the user to insert a previously created H5P into the Column Tool. If you have created an H5P and would like to add this to the Column Tool, then you can do so by following these steps:
1. Select Save to save your progress from the Column Tool.
2. Once it is saved, the following screen should appear. Select My Content.
3. A list of all your previously created H5P's should now appear. Locate the specific H5P you would like added to the Column Tool, and select the three dots for that particular H5P. From the list of options select Edit.
4. The H5P settings page for that H5P should now appear. Select the Copy option.
5. Once it has been copied, select the top right-hand side option of Cancel. A pop-up will appear stating changes will not be saved, select Leave.
6. Head back into the Column Tool by locating the Column Tool amongst your list of H5P's. Once you locate the Column Tool, scroll to the right hand-side and click on the three black dots and select Edit.
7. Once inside the edit page of the Column Tool, scroll down and select the Add Content button. A new content option will appear, select Paste.
8. The H5P should now appear within the Column Tool and will have the words "Clone of" appear at the start of the title - indicating that this is a cloned/copied version.
Any edits/changes made to the cloned/copied version of the H5P within the Column Tool will not affect the original version that resides under My Content.
Once you are satisfied with the layout of your column H5P tool, you can adjust your H5P's settings at the bottom of your column H5P tool's screen (you can leave these settings by default or you can make alterations):
1 - Display options: (previously 'Display and copyright buttons') What options do you want to be visible for the user, for example,, you can tick the display download button to enable students/staff to download the H5P to their own computer. You can also tick the Display embed button, which allows the user to embed the H5P into their HTML editor in VU Collaborate for example.
2 - Folder: (previously 'My Content') All your content will be saved in one spot, within a root folder.
3 - Publish: This option allows you to make the H5P Unpublished (content can not be inserted into VUC), Protected (content can be inserted into VUC) or Public (visible to the public using a content link and the content can be inserted into LMS and be embedded). Protected is the default setting and it is recommended to leave this setting as it is.
4 - Collaborators: (previously 'Authors') In this setting you can add and search for other collaborators and give them access to edit your H5P's. For example, if you are teaching a unit with another staff member and you would like them to have access to edit your H5P's, then you can use the search field to locate another staff member by typing in their full name.
5 - Sharing: (previously called 'Select value') This is where you share your H5P with others, so they can view and clone your content. There is a folder allocated for each college, for example, 'Arts and Education', select your College.
To know more about Sharing and Collaborators, please see H5P Sharing and Collaboration.
6 - Send Score to LMS: (previously 'Send to Gradebook') In this section you can link your H5P directly to VU Collaborate and also link it to your gradebook. It is recommended to leave this setting as it is, and NOT send the results to the gradebook.
After adjusting your H5P object, you can click Save.
1. A preview of how others will view the Column Tool will now appear. You may also take this opportunity to go through the Column Tool to ensure you are happy with the outcome. Once you are happy with the layout, click Insert.
2. Once again, a preview of your newly created Column Tool will appear. This is a final opportunity to ensure the Column Tool is ready for users to view. If the Column Tool is ready, select Insert to allow the Column Tool to appear in the Learning Space.
3. The H5P Column Tool will appear as follows within the Learning Space. Select Save and Close.
If at any stage you would like to edit the Column Tool, simply locate it within the Learning Space inside VU Collaborate and select Edit.
1. To delete the Column Tool within the Learning Space, simply locate the H5P and select the down arrow option to allow you to select Edit HTML.
2. Highlight the H5P Column Tool (a blue outline around the Column Tool should appear) and simply click Delete or Backspace from the keyboard.
3. Once the Column Tool has dissapeared, select Save and Close.