Creating Questions in the Question Library
The cornerstone of any good quiz is a robust question bank built to test your students knowledge. But before you create your quiz you first need to develop a question bank and this begins from the question library tool. In the question library, you can create a wide range of questions from multiple-choice questions to fill in the blank questions. Questions in the question library can be separated into sections to easily be later added into question pools for a quiz.
Below are the steps for accessing and managing the question library:
- Access Quiz Question Library
- Create a New Question
- Organise your Questions using Sections
- Move your Questions into Sections
Questions can only be created in the Master Space. Within the master space, only the Block Convenor, Block Key Academic, and Block Instructor have the permissions to create and edit questions in the question library. No further changes can be made to questions once they are in the delivery environment.
1. Start by navigating to Assessments > Quizzes.
2. Click on the Question Library tab. Creating your questions within the question library in contrast to with a quiz allows you to easily update them across multiple quizzes at once.
1. Click the New button to add a new question.
2. Select the type of question you would like to create from the list.
3. To learn how to create specific question types, please click an option from the following list to access the guide relevant to each item:
4. Once you have created your question(s) they will appear in the Question Library.
Sections are essentially a folder for you to organise your question into. They are very useful for dividing topics for various quizzes. You should always try to use a section for your question bank. You can also nest sections inside sections.
1. To create a section click on New and select Section.
2. Fill out the name for your folder in the Section Title field and enter a description in the Section Text field. If you want to include sensitive information in the description for other staff, you can choose to hide the section text from students by clicking on the associated radio "Hide Section Text From Students" button.
Typically it is not necessary to randomise questions at the section level. Questions can be set to randomise as an option when creating a question pool for a quiz.
3. When you have finished entering the details, click Save.
4. This will bring you back to the home page with your new section. From here click on the Section Title to enter the folder and then click on New to build up your question bank by adding different types of questions.
5. If you need assistance on an individual question type, refer to the help guides listed in step two.
If you have created questions outside of the section you are building, you can move these questions to any section within the question library.
1. Select the tickboxes for the questions that you would like to include in your section and click Move.
2. Select the Section where you will move the questions to or click Cancel to return to the previous screen to change your selection.
3. The questions will appear in the appropriate section.
4. You can use the same procedure to Move, Delete or Order any question in the question library.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.