Using the H5P Multiple Choice Question Tool
Multiple Choice Questions present a text-based question with options to choose one answer. This type of question can contain text, images and audio. Students can retry the question until a correct answer is selected, or they can opt to see the solution at any time.
Students benefit from multiple choice questions as a way to reinforce the content taught and help assess comprehension. To watch a video and see more extensive examples, access the H5P.org tutorial on how to use this interactive.
This H5P Multiple Choice Question Tool guide includes:
- Getting Started
- Adding Content
- Adding Questions
- Feedback and Settings
- Saving and Sharing your H5P Learning Interactive
Note: Please see this guide on H5P if you would like an H5P introduction, and this guide if you want instructions on how to insert the H5P into your space. There is also a help guide video with an overview of creating an H5P here.
1. In the Learning Space choose the module you want the H5P to be in, click on New then New Document.
2. Click on the Insert Stuff button.
3. Click H5P learning object.
4. Click Add Content.
5. Select Multiple Choice from the Content-type dropdown menu, then click use.
6. Enter a Title.
1. If you wish to add videos or images, click Media. For instructions on adding Images, go to 2.1. For instructions on adding Video, go to 2.2.
2.1 Adding Images
1. Select the arrow dropdown menu and click Image.
2. Select Image and a green plus will appear. Click it to upload your image.
3. Your image will appear. Enter the Alternative text, this is required. It makes the image accessible and will be displayed if the image cannot be loaded.
Tip: You can enter hover text which will be visible when the user hovers the pointing device over the image, this is optional.
2.2 Adding Video
1. Select the Type dropdown menu and click Video.
2. A plus symbol will appear. Click it to upload your video.
3. Use the pop-up menu to select a video file to upload or to paste a video source URL. Click Insert.
4. Once selected, there is a range of customisable options under the titles Visuals, Playback and Accessibility. Click Visuals for aesthetic components.
5. Click Playback for playing options.
6. Click Accessibility to add a video track. Select a video track to upload subtitles, captions, chapters or descriptions to your videos. You must supply a WebVTT file if you wish to use a video track.
1. Type your question into the Question field.
2. Type each possible answer in each option Text field. Identify the Correct answer by selecting the tick box.
3. If you need to add another answer option, click the Add option button. You can delete unnecessary options by clicking the X buttons and reorder your options by clicking on the up and down symbol.
Note: You can add a hint and/or feedback in the Tips and Feedback section of each option.
Overall Feedback can be designed to appear depending on the percentage of correct answers a student has achieved.
1. To add a range, click Add Range and select the minimum and maximum percent for this feedback. If you would like a specific amount of ranges, H5P will calculate the percentages for you. Click Distribute evenly, to even out the percentage automatically. Write the feedback in the text field and select at what point it should appear before the end of the task.
2. Select Behavioural Settings to see a range of customisable options. These options can individualise your quiz and allow you to alter settings as is appropriate.
3. Similarly, text overrides and translations allow you to edit additional settings regarding content and naming conventions of buttons provided in the learning interactive.
Note: Use Behavioural Settings to toggle the Retry and Show Solutions settings to your question. You can also use this setting to randomize your MCQ Question answers and impose requirements for the question to be answered before viewing the solution. You can alter the naming conventions on the Retry or Show Solution button to another name which you desire in this section.
At the bottom of the screen you can adjust your H5P's settings (you can leave these settings by default or make alterations):
1 - Display options: (previously 'Display and copyright buttons') What options do you want to be visible for the user, for example you can tick the display download button to enable students/staff to download the H5P to their own computer. You can also tick the Display embed button, which allows the user to embed the H5P into their HTML editor in VU Collaborate for example.
2 - Folder: (previously 'My Content') All your content will be saved in one spot, within a root folder.
3 - Publish: This option allows you to make the H5P Unpublished (content can not be inserted into VUC), Protected (content can be inserted into VUC) or Public (visible to the public using a content link and the content can be inserted into LMS and be embedded). Protected is the default setting and it is recommended to leave this setting as it is.
4 - Collaborators: (previously 'Authors') In this setting you canadd and search for other collaborators and give them access to edit your H5P's. For example, if you are teaching a unit with another staff member and you would like them to have access to edit your H5P's, then you can use the search field to locate another staff member by typing in their full name.
5 - Sharing: (previously called 'Select value') This is where you share your H5P with others, so they can view and clone your content. There is a folder allocated for each college, for example 'Arts and Education', select your College.
Note: To know more about Sharing and Collaborators, please see H5P Sharing and Collaboration.
6 - Send Score to LMS: (previously 'Send to Gradebook') In this section you can link your H5P directly to VU Collaborate and also link it to your gradebook. It is recommended to leave this setting as it is, and NOT send the results to the gradebook.
7. After adjusting your H5P object, you can click Save and Insert or Save.
8. Saving will take you back to the H5P dashboard where you will see your new Multiple Choice Question Tool learning object in your list of H5P objects. You can continue working on this object at any time by clicking on the Edit button.
9. If your Multiple Choice Question Tool is ready to be embedded in the content of your VU Collaborate Space, click Insert. You will see a preview of the object from a student's view. Otherwise, you can Clone, Edit or Delete the object from this menu.
10. If you're happy with your preview, click Insert to add the question to the document (or other embeddable area) you are working on.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service http://servicedesk.vu.edu.au for further technical support.